• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

correct way of doing a fresh OS instal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enemy Down!

i normally just install windows on fresh drive without any fancy partitioning. i guess i dont understand that part. i have read that you should create 2 seperate partitions, one for the OS and the other one for your normal files. but i never understood the amount of disk space needed for the OS? is 3 gigs enough for win2kpro? what happens when the OS increases in size due to updates and service packs and then 3 gigs is just not enough?

what are the benefits of such?

The benefit of keeping the OS separate is that the partition for data can be preserved if you ever need to reinstall again. Some people also
like to put the swap file on a separate partition. It's all a matter of philosophy. Personally, I always use the whole disk. If you back up data regular with CD's or DVD's, then you need not worry.

nothing is really 'correct', but is more along the lines of preference/convience/your data storage needs and performance,,,,,,,,,,,

On a single drive of 30gb plus, my prefference is,,,,,,,,

c - 5gb for OS
d - 5-10gb programs
e - the rest for data

f (seperate physical drive on diff IDE channel) swap, temp, downloads, etc

A swap file is usually placed on a drive or partition that is the fastest. You get some increased performance if the swap file is used. The swap file location is changed by editing it's path in the registry.

thecondor said:
A swap file is usually placed on a drive or partition that is the fastest. You get some increased performance if the swap file is used. The swap file location is changed by editing it's path in the registry.

Can't you choose where it is by right clicking my computer>properties>advanced tab>settings(under performance)>advanced tab >change

what happens when you assign only the bare minimum of disk space for the OS partition, and there is not enough space to apply new service packs and additions, does another partition take up the slack and store the needed OS info, or do you get in trouble and the OS is unable to upgrade itself?

example;

2 gig partition for OS. OS takes up the entire 2 gigs. then you try to apply service packs which will make the OS 2.5 gigs total. what happens?

thanks, now i understand. you will get in trouble if the OS expands beyond the size of the partition.

i see you reside in athens, greece. summers only? i am from thesaloniki, greece.

I always do re-installs when I have other stuff to do, like clean my room. Because I cant stand waiting for my system to reboot over and over. And because I dont want to wait for Windows to load some stupid drivers (ie SCSI) that I dont need.

I would recommend two partitions with a 25 to 75 split for os and programs..... other for data....

ie..100 gig drive...25 gig C. 75 gig D...

however for myself i always use physical drives not partitions..if you have the drives...

Back