• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Hear my Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

When i have my headphones on and Im doing something on the computer I can hear the computer process things and access files... all staticy sounds with different pitches... dont know how to describe it properly....Ive tried muting all sounds through the systemtray sound icon but these staticy sounds persist.... I can hear the ethernet downloading, I can hear the cpu processing, i can hear I higher pitch sound when the harddrives rev up.... any idea how I could stop the sounds... (and dont tell me to just take of my headphones.)

Its EMI, the easy way to stop it is to encase your computer in chicken wire. It sounds ridiculous, but I did it for one of my friends and it barly interfered with the radio after the mod when before it would become completely staticy.

rofl sorry i had to laugh.. but i swear someone posted there onboard sound making a sound like this, let me see if i can find it for you

Edit: I couldnt find it :(

Last edited:
I dont understand.... chicken wire... im not putting chicken wire over my pc... Am i having this prob because its an onboard sound card?

are u guys having problem even when nothing is supposed to be in playing through the onboard sound??
i think i have EMI interference too....can hear everything...hdd activity, network, cpu, mouse moving, scrolling...it irritates me...

ya it looks like we all have it... must be because its onboard... any solutions besides getting a pci sound card?

i've tried a lot of things on my end...
tried 3 different versions of sound driver...
took off everything from my comp
just motherboard, cpu, hdd, video card running....i can still hear it...
tried to turn off bass boost option in sound, reduce wave to 50% or under. Turn off mic/aux. Tried 4 different pairs of earphones. Moved my usb mouse to the farthest one away from speaker jack. Took off my internet connection(reduced some). This sound only comes on when windows is started...like.....when some particular driver is activated, maybe sound drivers...but i have tried 3 version, what else can i do...lol...
This is so ruining my enjoyment of music
sometimes i want some background music so i put it low, then i hear all of these sounds along with it......then there's recording MDs...once the song is ending, i can hear the sounds.....
They might as well not include onboard sound...can't even be clear sounds and this is the best audio codec from soundmax...

I assumed it was because of onboard sound since this is my first comp without a PCI sound card and it's the only time I've had the problem. If you can borrow or have a space sound card lying around, it may be worth it to do some testing.

Ive had a p4p800 dlx and had the same prob... its really annoying when you listen to music and when it gets quiet you can hear your pc working away... ARG!

Vio1 said:
Ive had a p4p800 dlx and had the same prob... its really annoying when you listen to music and when it gets quiet you can hear your pc working away... ARG!

did u get rid of the P4P800 and got the P4S800D?
I'm just worried a little about recording MDs...since it's gonna pick up those sounds...
probably need to get the SPDIF bracket from my friend and see if optical does it(don't think so)...
i really want them to solve this problem...and they call this 1985 like the top of the line codec for soundmax....

when you say "recording" md, do you mean burning onto md from a cd? or actually recording live stuff through your pc into your md.... cause if its the first, I havent had a problem... I transfered cd music to md and It doesnt transfer over the computer noise.

I got the P4S800D-E Deluxe cause a few weeks ago my P4P800 Deluxe just died on me... I sent it out for an RMA, and then plan to sell it on ebay.

Vio1 said:
when you say "recording" md, do you mean burning onto md from a cd? or actually recording live stuff through your pc into your md.... cause if its the first, I havent had a problem... I transfered cd music to md and It doesnt transfer over the computer noise.

I got the P4S800D-E Deluxe cause a few weeks ago my P4P800 Deluxe just died on me... I sent it out for an RMA, and then plan to sell it on ebay.

record it as in playing mp3s through speaker out jack...
i don't have NetMD...that's y i'm worried about this noise...
i never had problem with my SB16, but that's on a really old computer...I'm also annoyed when i leave my headphones on while doing other work on the table, i can still hear the noise. It just takes the enjoyment of music away...

Vio1 said:
When i have my headphones on and Im doing something on the computer I can hear the computer process things and access files... all staticy sounds with different pitches... dont know how to describe it properly....Ive tried muting all sounds through the systemtray sound icon but these staticy sounds persist.... I can hear the ethernet downloading, I can hear the cpu processing, i can hear I higher pitch sound when the harddrives rev up.... any idea how I could stop the sounds... (and dont tell me to just take of my headphones.)

Hey Vio1,

Did you ever figure out hat was causing this problem? I just got the same board yoo have and it's driving me crazy. It's not only the onboard sound. I've installed a SB Live and disabled the onboard sound and it still does it. All I have upgraded is my Mobo and CPU. I had an Asus P4PE before and it did not do this.
Has anyone else had any luck getting rid of this noise/static?

thanks
-Aiwa501

Back