• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anti Virus....AVG by Grisoft or Norton??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

Is Grisoft's AVG antivirus software good? Second, is anyone using the free personal edition they have??

I have WinXP Pro for an OS..and wanted to know what people thought.

Thanks,

i use it, it works pretty well for me, just make sure you update it, and I have this one virus on the comp that is attached to windows in some way so it cant be deleted, and avg constantly pops up saying it exsist, but it could probably be fixed by doing the repair widows thing, but im lazy and i dont use it for much besides folding so ill do it later. It works fine, also AntiVir works well, just a suggestion though.

I've grown to much prefer AVG over Norton. Not as cumbersome and intrusive, easy installs and updates, and performs very well.

I had AVG, and it didn't work for me. It found 1/3 of the viruses that Norton found and when AVG found a virus it couldn't repair it! But maybe it was just that virus. The point is, I like Norton way better, it has never given me problems. It has found and fixed all my viruses, but you do have to pay for updates, so that kinda sucks. but otherwise, i thought it was way better that AVG.

Oh and Norton offered much better protection, overall.

i got norton 2003 professional for like 15 bucks last fall, so i use that. I have used AVG, and it works, but for some reason i didnt like it.

I'm using AVG free edition on all my PC's and never had any virus problems. Does it's job, runs quietly in the background and is never heard or seen unless something infected is trying to get through..

AVG free edition all the way it works well and doesn't suck up all my resources like Norton dose. It's light, easy to use, effective, and free what else could you ask for.

using norton 2004 and not complaining its running great, and its not slowing my system down at all

Viper848 said:
I had AVG, and it didn't work for me. It found 1/3 of the viruses that Norton found and when AVG found a virus it couldn't repair it! But maybe it was just that virus. The point is, I like Norton way better, it has never given me problems. It has found and fixed all my viruses, but you do have to pay for updates, so that kinda sucks. but otherwise, i thought it was way better that AVG.

Oh and Norton offered much better protection, overall.

Turn off system restore, then boot into safe mode, then run AVG. and you should update the virus definitions first. That should solve your problem of not being able to delete them.

I don't trust AVG at all.

First time it let a little trojan in. I noticed something was a little weird with my sluggish performance, and as a hunch, I dled norton. Norton found it and deleted it.

A few months later, thinking that maybe AVG will do a little better, tried it again. Kept it up to date along with all the microsoft security updates. Guess what? Another trojan. By this time, I got po and that's when I heard of bitdefender. I decided to reformat my computer since it was time for one and installed bitdefender on it. It manages to catch every single virus. Heck, I didn't even check the options tabs on thunderbird 0.5 to enable virus scanning, and while checking my email bitdefender managed to scan 20 incoming emails and deleted all that had netsky in them.

I like bitdefender. Doesn't take up resources, it can scan my entire harddrive in 9 minutes (norton takes 20) and shows a cool little graph that shows you how many files it's currently scanning. Not only that, but there is always an update every day.

Personally I prefer Norton, but only because I beleive it is the lesser of the evils. I have tried norton, mcafee, and avg and I have found that norton will catch things that the other won't. Now granted norton uses system resources like no other, but that is a price I am willing to pay.

I just went from an expired norton to Avast so far so good looks good with the skins...and seems more polished than AVG time will tell how it holds up...

I'm running Symantec Corporate Edition that my school gave me. I used to use AVG, but I like this better.

Back