• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reactivate Windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

this version of windows is not cracked hacked, messed with in anyway. today when i booted up it just siad i had to activate windows again within three days do to hardware changes... i have never heard of this... is this normal?

and there is also no installation id for me to read to the computer... whats happening... did i get a virus?

but its a computer.... and it keeps asking me for the ID number but i don't see it, the space where it should be is blank!

Most likely you have to reactivate due to a hardware change. Activation is a new anti-piracy measure that doesn't specifically mean you have a pirated version of windows.

You have a unique windows ID and if that ID needs activated too many times (in the whole world) then the activation will be refused... pirated versions of windows become worthless... at least that is the idea.

Your computer is asking to reactivate for a reason and thus it is time to contact microsoft for that to be done.

The link below talks about activation and also what your product ID is. Essentially, the product ID is a scrambled version of your CD key, scrambled so that it would be harder for a 3rd party to figure it out.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/overviews/activation.asp

If you have trouble activating, give the 800 number a try.

Anywho, hope this message helps somehow.

Yup just call them and tell them that it is asking for you to reactivate and they will fix you right up.

I have had to do it, from what i can tell if you change two hardware devices at once it asks for it. I've had to do it when i change overclock speed and i also upgraded video card and when i changed mobo and cpu speed.

No problem, we're all here to help. :)

Glad things are working well now.

Back