• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPUBurn comes up virus infected

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GM1010

Recently I tried using CPUBurn and McAfee finds a virus in it NTRootKit-G. I never had a problem with it before, and I even downloaded it again from the site. Does it just have to do with the code it uses to stress the cpu? Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this because it's new to me.

Could be due to the code of the program or something? Just a guess. Goes to show why I dont use any anti-virus bs.

No I don't have any other software to scan it with. I'm not really worried about it, it's just that it's never detected it before and the virus isn't new or anything.

Hmm thats pretty weird, but as you said you arent worried about it so i dont see why its a big deal or would become a big deal

Well it's just a pain because everytime I even look in the CPUBurn directory McAfee denies access, but it's only in BurnK6.exe, BurnP5 and BurnP6.exe. I don't know, whatever :eek:

No way u can disable macafee? Just a suggestion. I would have no clue being that i dont use it.

An active virus residing in memory may spread to any executable you run. It is possible that this is the cause of the infection, and that's it's not a false alarm.

This should really be in software, not hardware. *nudge*

Btw: you can get a free anti-virus program here.

I thought about putting this in software but it doesn't get read as much, and since it was a burn program I figured more people in cooling would know. Anyway, I don't think it's a virus on my machine spreading because I just reformatted twice in the last 2 days. Plus when I download it again and scan it right away it comes up. Well I guess I'll take the suggestion and contact the person who made it.

If you read the description of the virus in the link, its only a hackers tool, no real threat. If you disable your Virus scanner and set up the program it is quite easy to stop the questionable process and remove it without its spreading or causing harm to your machine. Once you have done that, you can then renable your scanning program.

Al

Back