• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Music and video database..?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M Oblongata

In the past few years I've build up a big collection of movies and mp3's but I put it all in a few maps and never really cared about organization...
Now, i'd like to make some kind of a database together with a little prog. With this prog I have to be able to search a song, artist, movie and then modify/add/delete info about it or just play it...
I don't know anything about programming, but I don't mind learning.

Now, I looked up a few things and I came across MySQL database (noticed it only because of the word "database")... Thing is, I don't know what it does or how it works, I only know it's often used together with PHP for websites... Am I looking in the wrong direction for a solution or what?

Can someone help me out here plz?
Thx, Medulla

[Off Topic]
I'm not certain if this is posted in the right forum, if not; I'm sorry :D

Ow, and BTW, cool forum :)
[/Off Topic]

Itwould have been better if you put this in Programming,

but I'll help ya here

You could index your music and movies using mySQL, and then use C or Visual basic to make the program to play your files.

This will not be an easy task, SQL takes about 3 days to master, C about a week of hard work, then you have to get them to work together, plus making a media player is quite a large first project,

I would suggest looking into some opensource media players for help with the software creation.

It would be easier to use VB. You could use the ADO component and simply add a media player. Or forget the database and just generate a text file with the info you need and use that. If I have time tonight I'll try to come up with something to help you out. If you want to get into VB it's not that hard, much easier to learn than C++. I think that using MySQL would be overkill for the type of project you would use it for. It's mainly geared toward servers and such. I hope this helps.

Clint

Back