• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

install windows 95 without floppy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt_w_lambert

is there a way to install windows without a floppy because i don't have any floppy drives and i want to put 95 on an old computer so is there a way to put the boot image on a cd

Hmm...how is this going to work? You need a floppy disk just to get to the C: prompt from my experience. Plus, an old machine won't have the necessary hardware to recognize a CD to begin with...so how are you going to read the CD? I personally had to use a Win boot disk that loaded CD-ROM drivers, as those weren't native to my machine(and I can boot from CD and is only 1yr old).

How old is this machine?

Unless it's from the 486 era or it's some crappy pre-built system with proprietary equipment inside, it should support booting from a CD. My old PI 166 supported it.

Note I said "booting" from a CD. It's not going to give you a D:\> prompt without something else telling it to. The UBCD Oni linked you to should help you out.

I thought Windows95 came on bootable CDs. If your system supports booting from the cd drive, you should be able to boot from the windows 95 cd. If you can't, another botoable cd won't really help. You will need to find and install a floppy drivve to boot from.

Gnufsh said:
I thought Windows95 came on bootable CDs. If your system supports booting from the cd drive, you should be able to boot from the windows 95 cd. If you can't, another botoable cd won't really help. You will need to find and install a floppy drivve to boot from.
I believe Windows 98 is the first MS OS with a bootable cd.

matt_w_lambert said:
is there a way to install windows without a floppy because i don't have any floppy drives and i want to put 95 on an old computer so is there a way to put the boot image on a cd

You can get a floppy for next to nothing now a days. I got one from newegg for like 7 bucks

Ok I think I know how to make your 95 disk bootable.

1.download the win 95 floppy image here
2. Download WinImage here
3. Open boot95a.exe (the first file) in WinImage
4. Save it as an uncompressed image with the .IMA extention.
5. Open Nero ROM. Choose CD-ROM (boot) on the left.
6. On the boot tab choose image file and browse for your .IMA file you created.
7. Choose "new" on the right and drag all the files and folders from the Windows 95 install CD over to the new CD.
8. Burn it.
9.Boot from that CD and do what ever you would do with a boot floppy to get setup started.

1.download the win 95 floppy image here
2. Download WinImage here
3. Open boot95a.exe (the first file) in WinImage
4. Save it as an uncompressed image with the .IMA extention.
5. Open Nero ROM. Choose CD-ROM (boot) on the left.
6. On the boot tab choose image file and browse for your .IMA file you created.
7. Choose "new" on the right and drag all the files and folders from the Windows 95 install CD over to the new CD.
8. Burn it.
9.Boot from that CD and do what ever you would do with a boot floppy to get setup started.

It's much better to use the 98SE boot disk.

ok i got a floppy and everything is working
the win 95 disk isn't bootable
and when i said my computer was old i gues i ment older because it is just a few years old

thanks for the replys

Back