• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I have to buy a new copy of XP?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quailane

Today, when I logged into my computer, it said I needed to reactivate windows because I made major hardware changes. All I did was to take out my cd burner and put in a new video card. I was like ok, and followed through, but then it said that this copy of windows has exceeded the limit of activations.

I got the copy from my dad (new never opened) for my new computer that I was building at the time. I installed it on it once. I had to reinstall it after it got really messed up from my brother messing with my computer. (downloaded all kinds of programs and video drivers that I could never get rid of.) After my good hard drive died, I installed windows on a crappier drive my step dad had laying around. It was like that for about a month untill I finally rma'd my good drive and got it back. I installed windows again on that one. Untill today, I've never had these problems of too many activations. What is up with that? Is there any way I can continue to use this legal copy of windows? A new oem license for xp would cost me some money, and it is the lowest priced new copy of windows I can find. Is there anything I can do or do I have to bite the bullet?

i'd suggest calling microsoft and complaining. it might be that somebody else has activated windows with your activation key. possibly some employee of the company you rma'd your drive to managed to salvage your drive and took it home, or took your cd key and is using it.

i've reactivated windows several times, and i never heard of having a limit on the amount of times you can use your own cd key.

again, i suggest calling microsoft. usually if you tell them the problem, and read out the serial code on your windows cd, they will give you a new activation key

There should be a number to call M$ and get a act. number...you will have to call them and explain why you had to reinstall the OS so many times :rolleyes: and then they will give you a new code

Back