• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Norton taking waaaaaay too long.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slayer2003

first, i guess ill list the spec of this box....cause i know it will be asked :p

MSI KT3 Ultra2
2000+ xp
512 corsair xms2700
40 gig
120gig
fx5600Ultra
Win2k on SP4

Norton anti-virii 2003, ver 9.05.15

ok. heres the problem. about a week ago, i noticed my norton anti-virii was taking forever to do a normal computer scan. not like 30-40 minutes. like, 1.30-2 hours!!! i thought it needed to be updated, but everything was up to date.

ive tried totally shutting everything down on the comp before starting a scan, and get the same result.

all of my other boxes will do this in 8 min to 15 min, depending on the HD size. but one of my other comps has 3 120gb hd's in it, so it cant be too big of hd space.

help?

is your box conected to the net with a fast connection

my freind had a similar problem he had a small drive but alot of small files in his temp interney folder and it was taking norton ages to look at each induviale file

try emptying the temp folders

happyhardcore said:
is your box conected to the net with a fast connection

my freind had a similar problem he had a small drive but alot of small files in his temp interney folder and it was taking norton ages to look at each induviale file

try emptying the temp folders

im on comcast cable.

Andyman902042 said:
Its says what folder its currently scanning. Which one takes a long time?

most of them, i was thinking it was my game, movie, or music files, but i have all that loaded on my 120 gig, hd, and all system files on the other one.

dead_man311 said:
try uninstalling it then reinstall it and see if that work's

i quit using norton about a yr ago after i got sick of it. i use avg

tried that right after you mentioned it, still the same thing. sorry i didnt reply sooner, busy @ work :-/

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but I stopped using Norton as well. After 2 or 3 years of using it, I decided that it just slowed my computer down too much to be of use. If I ever do get a virus, I can always reformat anyway.

Back