• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade from win2k to xp or wait for the horns?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Potatoehead

Registered
Is it worth upgrading from win2k pro to xp pro
or should I just wait another year for the longhorns?

I prefer XP Pro, however, 2k is a very capable and good OS. In fact, many prefer it over XP. Hard call but not a necessary upgrade IMO.

i'd stay with 2k. Only reasons I have XP is because I got it cheap as hell, and because Everquest and 2k didn't get along very well. Had to either go with 98 or XP.

It's not a necessary upgrade at all. I've worked extensively with both and the differences in them are more a matter of personal preference than actual real world performance in most cases. Both are very capable OS's and will run everything you throw at it. I typically refer to xp pro as "win2k plus 10 pounds". Most of the extra weight is fluff that can be disabled and/or removed.

Its a matter of preference really, not performance. If you already have 2k, I see no reason to spend money on xp pro.

I've had better luck with networking in xp and I find it to run slightly faster and use less ram than 2k when in classic mode. 2000 has some odd quirks.

Why not run both?...I do...somethings just tend to run better on either or, but not on both...and if you are a bencher...I have found that benchmarks usally do better in W2k...but most games play better on XP...

Ebola said:
I've had better luck with networking in xp and I find it to run slightly faster and use less ram than 2k when in classic mode. 2000 has some odd quirks.

What SP are/were you running?

For what reason do you want to upgrade to XP? If its just for looks then save your money. Function wise XP has a few more bells especially with SP2 coming out, but I still couldn't use those to justify a purchase/upgrade.

I can't really see it as an "upgrade" I mean, at the core, what's really different? The only thing I personally have noticed XP has over 2000 is the INSANE boot times, like 30 seconds on a decent computer!

I'd just wait for longhorns, I'm using XP, and I upgraded from win98. XP's nothing special, just a bunch of extras that nobody uses. Although it is pleasing to the eye. Rounded edges were a nice touch.

I see no reason to switch if you already have 2000 and it works alright.

I was looking at adobe premiere pro and it requires xp,
but then again adobe has put macrovision spyware on
there software, so I may look at other products.

Back