• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windoze XP backwards compatability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alice

The backwards compatability in WinXP sucks. It runs most applications, but gaming of any kind in winxp is a joke. It has single handedly destroyed the multiplayer capabilities of Interstate '82. XP users can't host. I'm just ****ed, and I hope all of you can just be ****ed with me.

I have tried the backward compatibility mode and yeah just like you said it sucks big time. I’m yet to find a program that takes advantage of that feature. I usually have to tell some of my customers that most of, if not all of their programs that aren’t compatible with XP to begin with will most likely not work with XP.

What usually happens to me is that I would get a error message that says,” This program does not run in NT”, although I have it set to run in ’98, winME or ’95.

Go figure.

Weird, compatability mode has worked on all but two programs for me. Those two programs complained of missing files, which (I assume) wern't present with an NT install. In fact, 90% of the software from my old 98 box transfered over without a hitch to XP. The remaining 10% I replaced or used compatability on :D

Sucks to hear that you're having problems though. We can always hope Longhorn will be a bit better :)
JigPu

JigPu said:
Weird, compatability mode has worked on all but two programs for me. Those two programs complained of missing files, which (I assume) wern't present with an NT install. In fact, 90% of the software from my old 98 box transfered over without a hitch to XP. The remaining 10% I replaced or used compatability on :D

Sucks to hear that you're having problems though. We can always hope Longhorn will be a bit better :)
JigPu

Actually JigPu, I figured out what I was doing wrong. When I try to install the program, I would usually get a NT error. What I figured out after some research is that if I were to set the compatibility mode before installing the program through the run command it would install without a problem.

Alice I hope that this would be of some use to you.

Back