• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg XPPro OEM SP1???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
With OEM software, you need to buy hardware with it. it is for systems without windows installed on them. As for SP1a, it is slipstreamed into the disc already. The disc you buy at a store is a retail copy, which doesn;t need to be bought with hardware, and that way you can get an upgrade version or a full version. Again the upgrade needs a copy of a previous windows to install, where as the full version needs no previous installation.

bchur83 said:
With OEM software, you need to buy hardware with it

I just want to add that the hardware can be ANYTHING. You'll notice on NewEgg it says $5 off when purchased with audio cable. They are essentally giving away a free audio cable to satisfy the hardware requirement.

Read my post on OEM XPpro sp1, I changed my IDE cables and it wants me to reactivate, and then tells me I need to enter a new cd key because of a previous activation. Big $$$$ disposible OS. Im going back to ME, and my next OS wont have anything to do with Mr. Gates.:mad:

Yep, just give them a call. The number is on the activation window. Tell them you reformatted or got a virus. Anything you want really, just don't tell them you changed the hardware you got your copy of windows with. They'll activate it.

They sure will, I bought my OEM copy about 2 years ago and I have had to activate it muliple times, they are nice to you if you dont try and give them the run around, or activate a pirated key. Also, im not totally positive, but if you register your copy to your name, you can reactivate at will as long as you punch in your reg. info instead of saying don't register. It worked for me when I accidentally booted from my HDD on a friends hardware and immediately wanted a reactivation when I came back home.

Back