• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multiple hard drives+ OS's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Max47

Well i finally got my RAID0 array working got everything perfect down to the T on how i want it, but there is one problem.

After i setup windows on my backup drive(160gig WD) it shows a screen letting you select an operating system to boot from, In my case i have the same OS on both hard drives so the selections are the same only from differnt hard drives. Well from those selections the one on the Top is the hard drive it boots automatically if no selection is chosen, and now that I installed WinXP on the second hard drive it is booting from it first and i want it to boot from my RAID0 array instead.

What i think is going on is my partitions are setup as my RAID0 is labeled C: drive and my Backup is labeled D: i think when booting it sets the D: drive(or in alphabetical order booting backwards) to boot if no selection is made. I was wondering if there is any way to change that without changing my partitions label.
I came about that conclusion because when i first installed the RAID0 array i still had the WD partitioned as C: and the RAID0 was D: and autoselection of them was the other way around with the Array booting first.
I would rather not switch the partition labels around because when installing the defalt location is C: and i prolly wont pay attention to it when im installing and it will just be a headache over and over.

Sys spec's are in sig
Thanks

You only need an OS installd on one of them, so basically remove the os you don't want and keep the one you do. Pretty much what I saying is that you should only have one OS installed even if you have two hds. Put the OS on the hd you want to have it boot from and it shouldn't ask you anything, it should just use the one with the os on it for bootup

I think you're looking for this. It explains all the changes that can be made to the boot.ini file which controls the screen that pops up for which OS to boot. Incudes instructions on changing default boot :)

JigPu

Akurei14 said:
You only need an OS installd on one of them, so basically remove the os you don't want and keep the one you do. Pretty much what I saying is that you should only have one OS installed even if you have two hds. Put the OS on the hd you want to have it boot from and it shouldn't ask you anything, it should just use the one with the os on it for bootup

I dont mean to be rude Akurei, but you have no idea what you talking about. I know exactly what i need and having an operating system on both hard drives is critical for what im doing.

JigPu said:
I think you're looking for this. It explains all the changes that can be made to the boot.ini file which controls the screen that pops up for which OS to boot. Incudes instructions on changing default boot

Great link, I havent got the time to read it all right now but it looks as if its going to answer alot of my questions Many thanks Jigpu!

I will definatly read it all as soon as i can

i have the same thing as you. but i delected OS in my storage drive and keep one in the boot drive. but when i start my computer, i have a screen ask me whick OS i want to chooose or it will automatic start with the highlight one. Could you help me, How can i deleted that screen. I want my computer automatic start to the windows without having that screen.

Max47 said:
Well i finally got my RAID0 array working got everything perfect down to the T on how i want it, but there is one problem.

After i setup windows on my backup drive(160gig WD) it shows a screen letting you select an operating system to boot from, In my case i have the same OS on both hard drives so the selections are the same only from differnt hard drives. Well from those selections the one on the Top is the hard drive it boots automatically if no selection is chosen, and now that I installed WinXP on the second hard drive it is booting from it first and i want it to boot from my RAID0 array instead.

What i think is going on is my partitions are setup as my RAID0 is labeled C: drive and my Backup is labeled D: i think when booting it sets the D: drive(or in alphabetical order booting backwards) to boot if no selection is made. I was wondering if there is any way to change that without changing my partitions label.
I came about that conclusion because when i first installed the RAID0 array i still had the WD partitioned as C: and the RAID0 was D: and autoselection of them was the other way around with the Array booting first.
I would rather not switch the partition labels around because when installing the defalt location is C: and i prolly wont pay attention to it when im installing and it will just be a headache over and over.

Sys spec's are in sig
Thanks
i'm similar like you but how can i delect that screen that keeping asking me whick OS should I choose or it will automatic start in the highlight one. Do you have any idear to delete that?

Back