• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fatal Exception (Been a while, ehh?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

So, I finished putting together a new box, and started installing Windows 98se w/ 98lite Pro. After the FIRST restart...

"Windows
A fatal exception 0c has occured at 001d:0000fe84..."

WTH?! That's before setup was even finished. I had to manually turn off the pc and turn it back on. Setup continued. Restart. Bam!

"0c at 001d:0000fe84"

After EVERY restart this happens, and sometimes from a cold start. I reformatted, reinstalled, and the EXACT same thing happened. Always the same error. With or without 98lite, as well. So I looked up "exception 0C", and it's a stack error. Msoft says to increase the size of the stack to rectify the problem, but this solution seems to be directed at programmers rather than users. If I understand correctly, this type of error occurs as a result of a poorly written piece of software. It isn't supposed to be Windows fault; windows just catches it. Trouble is, there is NOTHING else on this computer. I've even tried 98Micro, so it's unlikely to be software... but I don't know. I'm baffled. I'll give more information if you guys need it, but I really want to understand just WTH is going on w/ this error?! Thank for your help.

It's times like this that I'm glad I don't keep hammers in my bedroom.

I was going to give you an update and some more info on the system in question, but, well, screw it. Maybe tommorrow.

I think I'll go discuss "w"...

Back