• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB in windows 98

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avg

I have a hard time getting windows to reconize my cable modem it's a 3com about 1year and a half old the one that was based on a fin, anyway I'm trying to get it installed in 98 but it just doesn't and when I force it in it gives me an errors and that some files are not doing what they are supposed to.

i little help....please:)

Hmmm. Perhaps you would be better off using the network interface. There isn't really much advantage to using the USB interface for it.

If you're insistant on using the USB, however, do you have all the updates for Win98? There just might be an update for your particular problem.

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

can't update it has no connection to the internet I threw all of my 56k modems away when i got cable and the mb I'm using doesn't have a network interface.

Someone once told me that in win98 I'm supposed to enable usb right before windows starts but then again he also said that M$'s best os was win98.

that's what I am thinking of doing, it's just that this gets me so ****ed that i though something was wrong with me not the pc but anyway I think I'll get a nic and make a home network o share the same connection.

Originally posted by bchur83
Cuz I thought that 98 Non SE doesn't officially support USB w/o updates to do so.

Yup that's right. If you're not sure which version you have, you should be able to click on 'my computer', go to 'about', and then look for a build date. 98SE would be April something 1999.

it is second edition It says on the cd

The best tips I know of for USB are from www.usbman.com . Even if you decide to go with the NIC (remember, saying NIC card is like saying ATM machine and PIN number) you may want to sort out the USB for another use.

Back