• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XPpro sp1 reactivate=Why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr_Obvious

I bought a oem version XPpro sp1 a couple months back, installed it, and activated it and registered it. Today I swapped my IDE cables to round cables, and cleaned up my case and added an extra fan. I boot up, and windows pops up and says, due to hardware changes you must reactivate. I go to activate, and it says that this copy of windows has been activated previously, (no *****, by me) and I need to enter a new CD key. WHY? I add a case fan and change my ide cables, and now I have to buy a new O/S? I paid big $$$, for my budget anyway, for a friggen disposible O/S? Who Else in this wide world can get away with this kinda friggen garbage other then Bill friggen Gates? Has anyone else ever had this problem?

So, At least I'm not the only one, but I have a new MSI mobo and XP 2200 coming, and should be here by friday. I suppose I will have to do it all over again, even though I'm going to use this existing HD. I still cant believe changing from ribbon cables to round, would even be considered as a hardware change, and how it even recognized that I changed it unless the ribbons were messed up somehow.:mad:

Back