• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

system process showing high cpu utilization

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bangkok_Ron

Registered
As usual I am stumped and turning to the experts.

Every so often (maybe every other day) my system process will run between 70% and 90% when I bring the computer out of system standby mode. I can tell by my cpu temps that its not happening while in standby mode and it appears to be completely random and its the only process (other than system idle process) showing any CPU utilization. The I/O read and write bytes show movement with lsass.exe and services.exe. My guess is that it's the services.exe as the lsass.exe always shows activity in the I/O read and write bytes.

Any thoughts it's driving me mad?

It's your computer stuttering like crazy coming out of standby mode. It's reading all the information written to the disk so it can start where it left off again. It may be quicker to just turn the computer off completely, or just leave it on.

Dan has a point.. putting a computer to sleep has always been, for me, notoriously slow and cumbersome. More trouble than it's worth. My computer would boot into windows faster than it would recover from sleep.

Thanks.

I was thinking about that but not sure I want my monitor running all the time. Guess I could just shut the monitor off when I leave it, but believe me it will confuse the hell out of my wife. I guarantee I will get a call at work telling me that the computer is broken. Guess I will have to spend a few hours training her on how to turn the monitor on. JK.

Actually the computer comes out of standy pretty quick. Maybe 10 seconds or so. Also, there is not any hard drive activity after the 10 seconds, yet the CPU temps keep rising ang the system process will be running at 70%-90%.

Control panel/power Options- select how long you want your monitor active (without any other activity). Then when you come back you can rt click your mouse & your monitor will wake up.

I have mine set to 15 min.

I've got the same problem with system process... I have hyperthreading though so it's taking 50% of my cpu at all times for some reason.

Edit: I just clocked my system back to stock and the problem went away... I hope there's a better fix.

Edit2: I downloaded the sp slowdown hotfix from this site
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html
and now the problem is gone. I don't know if that was the reason for it being fixed or not but it looks like it.

Last edited:
I turned the system standby off and now just turn the monitor off. Seems to have fixed the problem.

Back