• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SP1/Critical Updates Gone Bad!?!?!?!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FLyingHamster

I just reformatted last night, and of course had to install SP1. For some strange reason, SP1 seemed to take a much longer time to install time than it usually. is 7-10 minutes normal?

Then after that, I was installing the rest of the 20-sumthing critical updates, and right in the middle of installing some of them, the whole computer restarted. I got back into windows, and went back to the win update site, and it had 4 criticals left. So I tried to install them. It downloaded them all really fast, but then when it starts to install them, then bar gets about 1/3 of the way complete, the computer restarts, or it gives me an error and says it was no successfull.

also, strange enough.. I cant install the new SiSoft Sandra SP1. Everytime I start to install, it stops and gives me an error saying one of the files is corrupt. Ive tried d/l it from different sites but get the same result every time.

my computer was at stock speeds. is there anything I can do? any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

click on start, run, and type

sfc /scannow

and click ok.
After that is complete, try to update again....

Just a thought.....

did you use windows update for sp1a or did you install the full ~120 meg exe installer? I've had better luck with the full installer than windows update.

You might be able to uninstall whatever sp1 installed if you opted to save previous files.

10 to 1 you got hit with the mblast worm while online downloading sp1 if you weren't behind a hardware or software firewall. The symptoms are just too familiar. There are numerous posts about your exact symptoms, all blaster

Never do anything with out a fire wall or if it is a clean install do it with the net work cable un hooked...

Back