• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Rig (long time no see :P!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Imacrzyprsn

Well it's been a while since i've posted but i built a new rig last month and thought I'd share some pics! =). Enjoy gentlemens.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

I <3 Elbow Grease hehe

wow what bit did you use and is it aluminium or steel, btw did your bit wore down ?

i like all that green glowing... very nice effect. i'm gonna guess the case is steel and that you went through at least 2 bits for those windows. i like the action shots, good touch.

next is a psu mod and a window on the top of the case, right?

mod on

If that was a steel case and you cut those holes..... I give you props for major elbow grease... I had trouble cutting out 120mm hole on my steel case... I did it eventually but I NEVER NEVER NEVER wwant to do it again with a dremel... Nice job!!!

I hope cutting aluminum wont suck so bad with the dremel =| of course. i might not have to worry about it if antec doesnt ever reply to me about aquiring a second NON windowed side panel <_<.

Thats a really sweet looking setup man. nice huge case. I too, love that green hue.

I beleive it is (just to lazy to go find the box) 1.1 mm gauge steel. I went through about 4 and a half metal cutting discs (usually staying inbetween 7 and 9 thousand rpms). Yes I am planning a top window very soon =). The molding and windows came from voyeurmods.com. I actually had undercut the holes so i used a metal grinder to sort of sand them out a bit, but either way it was extremely hard and took the help of my roomate in order to get the windows and lockstripping in.

Yes. But if you have patience and can't afford a jigsaw or have no place to jigsaw doing it with a dremel isn't to bad as long as the steel isn't too thick.

vietp13 said:
wow hehe, i think imma save money and get a jigsaw to cut mine... hehe

Yes, I use a Jigsaw too. But, use finest tooth saw blades you can find for a great cut. I've done three windows using this method and it's fast and easy.

I eat through the cutting wheels like crazy and they cost a bloody mint :( For the present mod I am working on a borrowed a jig saw and spent a couple bucks on blades. Actually it was $14 for 5 blades when I only needed one, compared to $24 for 10 cutting wheels...ouch!!! I got Bi Metal blades rated for plastic and soft metal so it would be a fine cut. I have a very heavy steel case and expected to eat the 5 blades but I didn't. One big thing that helped for a super clean edge was using some C clamps and ply wood. I am very happy with the result and am going to skip using molding, looks clean enough to be a laser edge :)

i will have to find someone near me with a jigsaw and try cutting my top window with that, instead of my dremel hehe.

I definately prefer dremel over jigsaw. With a jigsaw you have very good odds of bending your case, with a dremel you dont.

When cutting with a dremel, mask off the area and draw what your cutting, take really light cuts and you could actually do those two windows with just over 1 reinforced disk. I dremeled out a few waterblocks using only 1/4 of a disk. It was around 16 channels too. It takes light cuts and not jamming the disk.

Jon

Two questions.
Is that a Directron Hyrdaulic full tower case you used? and do you have any pics of the internals with the side off?

Back