• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Security Update CD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
order mine have not got it yet.
I do have one question about it.Can I use it on as many machies as I need lol.Was wondering cause it will help when I am working on customer computers instead of waiting to download the updates now i will have them on hand well up till like nov 03 I think thats all thats on there right.

Yeah, I would imagine you could use the CD on any machine running a version of Windows ('cept for Win95, 'cause it's no longer supported).

My hat's off to M$'s marketing department, all that ordered the FREE security update cd, basically fell for the, come see Ana Kournikova in the nude pics syndrome, virus. All that have signed up for this update had to supply personal info, name, address, email address etc, (yes all can be fake, send the cd to my grandma at 123 main st. anywhere. usa, if you were 'really' thinking) But if you were SO excited about getting something 'free' from M$ you prolly just filled in all the required info for real. Now they 'gotcha' in their database. Whether you are legite in your licensing or not, big brother M$ has your info. (via your grandma) How 'free' is that? Get your email spam filters trained up, cause your prolly gonna get spammed from M$.

I'm sorry for being so negative on this, but it is apparent to me, that it is another effort on M$, to control and monopolize the OS one runs on their pc. I honestly expect to get a lot of flack on this post. I'm just being honest on my thoughts about how M$ is trying to be more controlling.

regards

let the flames begin

No flame, but I'm in enough of their databases already, between certs and other programs. This is a tool whose time has come. It gets tiresome having to recompile security update disks for customer machines at remote locations and far more painful to download them. A disk with the bulk of the updates is much more convenient. Then running hfnetchk and catching remaining updates is simple. Besides, how many home users are even close to up to date on hotfixes.

Then again, if this doesn't make you happy, get ready for more aggrivation. MS is changing the update sites again. The new version will not just look at the OS, but will unify OS and Office as well as other updates. Less confusing update structure, but more intrusive scans.

Not sure if you can??? It's actually 2 CD's not that it matters.

They got my number a......long.....time.....ago.

Last edited:
Oni said:
Yeah, I would imagine you could use the CD on any machine running a version of Windows ('cept for Win95, 'cause it's no longer supported).

Ive been betatesting for them since 1991 and i have quite a few things from them i shouldnt have. They have never said jack **** to me.

corrosion231 said:

Ive been betatesting for them since 1991 and i have quite a few things from them i shouldnt have. They have never said jack **** to me.

well I cant edit the post so ill just say i quoted the wrong person.

Xaotic said:
No flame, but I'm in enough of their databases already, between certs and other programs. This is a tool whose time has come. It gets tiresome having to recompile security update disks for customer machines at remote locations and far more painful to download them. A disk with the bulk of the updates is much more convenient. Then running hfnetchk and catching remaining updates is simple. Besides, how many home users are even close to up to date on hotfixes.

Then again, if this doesn't make you happy, get ready for more aggrivation. MS is changing the update sites again. The new version will not just look at the OS, but will unify OS and Office as well as other updates. Less confusing update structure, but more intrusive scans.

I agree with you on the 'tool who's time has come' all though there is SMS to deploy those updates, but if that infrastructure is not in place, this would be the next best thing, I guess.
Looks like it is time to go to Star Office, or Open Office.org. for an office suite for me. I'm stuck with M$ for wife's pc, for what she does, and on my pc, for what I need to support for work.

So what if they have all my info Im legal on all grounds.Plus they have it any ways my certs,Im a beta tester and so on.I just know it will help me out for when I go to customer locations and all they have is dial-up and have not done any updates.I charge by the hr and @$65.00hr and spend 11/2hrs doing updates this gets costly for my res customer. Yes I like to make money but not rip off the uneducated home user.As for my shelf most of my boxen are linux.So I could care less if microsoft has my info. Hell let them spam me every one else does I just dont read them and auto delete them.I get spam from the local post office everyday in the mail its called add's and crap I just throw it away.
Sorry about any spelling mistakes it 5 in the morning I am tired but cant sleep I have insomia oh well.

I did fill out the form, but have not gotten a confirmation email from them - it's been like two weeks. Did anyone else get one? Wondering if I need to fill out the form again.

Back