• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*gasp*....Good god its frickin hot in here. Time to get w/c!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
Holy cow!

Just as the title suggests, it is outrageously hot in my room tonight.

For some reason the admins here in college feel that the heaters need to be on full blast.....in Florida :D

I did a celcius / ferenheit convert and it turns out that the room temperature is a blazing 85*F.......*gasp*

Deepsky and I are in the same dorm and we are desperatly trying to keep our PCs cool. We have all turned the "AC" off and are relying entirely on boxfans to keep us alive

He's using a 90mm Tornado with a 900U and getting in the mid 50s idle. Im using a SK7 with an 80mm tornado as well getting in the 47c*(idle) range and my voltage is only 1.65 on an NF7:eek:.

Dear god!, if my puter is gonna make it thru spring its gotta get some serious cooling. Running my nado on full blast has become a neccesity. If I dont the temps will skyrocket into the mid 60s on load:eek: Im practically going deaf!

So if Im gonna make it thru spring without goin insane Im gonna need to get some hardcore W/C setup.

Im a total n00b when it comes to W/c and use some help picking out stuff. Im gonna have to get the best stuff around if I want to OC at all.

Ive been looking at both Dtek and Dangerden. Im kinda stuck between the two but favor danger den cuz it looks prettier :D. I just want something with high performance. Noise is not an issue. It cant possibly be louder than my nado!

I know there are some W/C gods on the forums. I would really love to hear your input. Im looking to put this in a new Super-Lanboy case. The money cap is $300. I gotta keep my PC cool....or better yet myself. Plz god someone help me!!!!:-/

300 seem like a very good budget... Im assuming that you wonly want to cool your CPU...

CPU: RBX

Pump: Danner Mag 3

Rad: 1986 Chevette Heatercore (Helps things to be inside your case since you are going to be LANing)

Tubing: Tygon or ClearFlex 1/2"ID and 1/8" thickness

Fan: Blower for your Heatercore if you want the best. I think tou can either 24v or 12v it to quite it down but not sure which... Or push/pull setup with 120mm fans

Others: TEF tape, Hose clamps, T-line for space and Res for looks...

Welcome aboard!!

EDIT: I forgot barbs... 5/8ID 1/2Male threaded for pump intake and 1/2,1/2 for pump outtake except female threaded for Mag3 pump

Last edited:
Totally!

How hard is it to mount a heatcore to the 120mm fan slot in the rear??

Im thinking about having a radiator sandwiched between 2 fans, that bolt to the chassis.

In other words, what sort of shrouding/bolting am I looking at to get it to hold on to the rear exaust port thingy?

I dont want a rad sitting in my case. I want it bolted down to something. Preferably to the exaust.

BTW I am also looking at W/C my Radeon as well. It is overheating much like my CPU.(actually more so)

Sentential said:
Totally!

How hard is it to mount a heatcore to the 120mm fan slot in the rear??

Im thinking about having a radiator sandwiched between 2 fans, that bolt to the chassis.

In other words, what sort of shrouding/bolting am I looking at to get it to hold on to the rear exaust port thingy?

I dont want a rad sitting in my case. I want it bolted down to something. Preferably to the exaust.

BTW I am also looking at W/C my Radeon as well. It is overheating much like my CPU.(actually more so)

Most people have it in the front because its a nice place and you can bring the air in instead of exhausting hot air. If you are planning to have it on the back... make sure you blow air IN not out... It will make a difference on your temp. 2 shrounds from DangerDen... Black ones.. They provide you with nuts and blots... You can use those to mount it on your comp... I used zipties to hold it to the case at four corners...

??

I was gonna have one push the other pull. The case Im looking at has a HDD rack in front of the Intake fan.

The only room I will have to mount anything will be in the back.

So you want me to have the rear as an intake?

Yes rear as an intake... You always want colder air to cool your radiator instead of hot air... If your case temp has 5 degree difference with the ambient then your CPU temp is going to have a 5 degree difference as well... So always colder air coming in... And yes... Push/pull setup is what you are looking for if you want to have one push the other pull..

Teflon tape is for sealing the threads of barbs so it doesnt leak... If you don't use it there is a high chance that water will leak through those threads very slowly

Hold on..

I wrap teflon tape over the connectors b4 I put tubing thru em?

Or is it used to seal it? Would silicon paste work (like aquarium sealant)

Im definatly gonna take ur suggestions to heart, thnx a bunch. Im gonna start looking into seting it up. I probably wont have time to physically set it up until the end of the month.

I just had to get some information pronto. Ive never felt so friggin hot in my life. I cant imagine what my poor CPU must feel :-/

Yeah man, that's crazy. It's like 75 in my room and I'm sweating! But then again, I'm from Michigan so I guess I'm sort of an ice creature or something! :D

Really? So hose clamps aren't enough? You use the teflon tape for added security? I was hoping only to use hose clamps as I'm kind of clumsy with tape. If you think there's still a danger, then I guess I should wrap some tape on my connections!

You have no idea. 85* combinded with Florida's natural high (high 80s-90%) humidity made it hard to breathe.(hence the gasp part).

I knew there was a problem when I had a boxfan sitting on a desk right beside me on full blast, and I still felt hot!

They finally cut the AC on. Room temps are starting to go into the high 70s now.

Case temp is still showing 29*. It was showing 35* when I launched this post. And I have 13 case fans!! Most of which pump atleast 40CFM.:eek:

BTW my roomie's laptop overheated a couple days ago. Not even the thermal throtteling could catch it.

He couldnt get it to boot for 2 hours!!

Sentential said:
Hold on..

I wrap teflon tape over the connectors b4 I put tubing thru em?

Or is it used to seal it? Would silicon paste work (like aquarium sealant)

Just wrap TEF tape over the threads of the barb before you screw it in. Once or twice is more than enough...

Silicon sealant can also work except its hard to remove it later if you had to...

Very good!

I was thinking about putting off this project until atleast the end of the month but.......

Once AGAIN! the room temp is 30c*. I cant take it much more :-/ I might have to order this over the weekend.

But first I need to RMA my Muskin RAM and do skewl work :bang head.

Once I get my $***t together (early next week) Ill go ahead and put it together.

Once I do I'll start a new thread with pics and ask for suggestions on how to make it pretty lookin ;)

Here is what Im looking at right now:

Case : http://www.directron.com/superlanboy.html
CPU block: http://www.directron.com/maze4foramd.html
GPU: http://www.directron.com/geforce4.html
Radiator : http://www.directron.com/wc432.html

Plus a Danner pump from petsmart and tubing from homedepot. I believe that this setup is rougly $300

You guys got anything to add to this? Im all ears

- Sen

I would spend the extra few bucks on Clearflex or Tygon tubing over the vinyl tubing at HD. Specialy on an internal unit that may have tighter bends they will be less likely to kink.

They just opened a new layout/test store for HD by my house they have a crazy selection on fittings better then a plumber wholesaler a block away!

Looking forward to some pics :)

yes please DO get ClearFlex or Tygon instead of vinyl tubing from your local HD because they do get in bad shape over time... you can get em cheap at www.mcmaster.com Its not named Clearflex but rather Chemical PCV tubing I believe... Its really cheap over there.

sentinal, get a different case.

If you're using a BIX, I'd pick up a Sonata or an slk 3700 or whatever that antec case is. Just use the back 120mm fans in those for the BIX.

Or cut a hole in the top and use that.

Also, I'd go with the meaze4gpu instead of that block, the meaze4gpu can be used with all video cards out ATM.

There are also other choices for pumps. The Mag 3 is good, but its cost goes up both material and time when you start adding barbs and a relay to it and making sure it doesn't leak. If you turn your computer off, and don't want to continuously run the pump, you would want a relay (another ~$20).

There are also DC pumps, which run off the computer’s power supply. There are currently two sold for watercooling right now, the Swiftech MCP600 and Danger Den D4. There are a number of threads here about both.

A relay or DC pump is good because it prevents the computer from ever being run without the pump running. In a college dorm that could be a big concern, you never know when someone will decide they NEED to use (break) YOUR computer.

Just wrap TEF tape over the threads of the barb before you screw it in. Once or twice is more than enough...

Exactly - but generally it is recommended you wrap it 2 to 3 times. Once may not be enough. The tape is like $1 per 50ft so don't skimp (but also don't overdo it or you could crack the plastic intake on the Mag3)

Also, I will mention what everyone else said about the tubing; DON’T use plain home depot grade tubing. I used it in my first setup and replaced it soon after. It just could not bend without kinking and quickly hardens.

And, as sandman said, if you are buying a new case for this, buy something that fits everything better. Try to find something that you can put the radiator in front, or comes with a 120mm top hole. It will make tube routing easier and improve performance. Basically I agree with everything sandman said.

Thnx a heap. I will be sure to post pics for you guys when the stuff comes in.

I know you guys get the same questions (i feel the same way sometimes).

Still unlike OCing (which has a margin of safety) W/c is very unforgiving AFAIK. ie water + 430w PSU = :eek:

sentinal, get a different case.If you're using a BIX, I'd pick up a Sonata or an slk 3700 or whatever that antec case is. Just use the back 120mm fans in those for the BIX.

Or cut a hole in the top and use that.

Unfortuantly I dont have access to a dremel. Second Im getting a new case cuz mine is extremely heavy. From what ive seen the benefit of W/c is less space is needed to get the same thermal package.

Im tryin to make the ub3r small and somewhat light Lan party rig. My steel one has got to weigh atleast 50lbs. Im trying to keep this one under 35 if possible.

Maybe I'm missing something.... Besides it being small is there a bigger problem than that?

Im assuming that the Super Lanboy would work well cuz it has an 120mm slot. But I figure Im missing the point.

Also, I'd go with the meaze4gpu instead of that block, the meaze4gpu can be used with all video cards out ATM

I'd love to but Directron is out of em :mad:

I like the sound of a front mounted raddie but that gets in the way of the HDD racks. The only way around it from what Ive seen it to get a bigger case (which is what I dont want to do).

I would use a heater core instead of a raddie but I suspect that they dont fit very securly in the case.

Ive got to have everything locked down pretty stiff. Im a bit of a clutz. I dont want one bad spill/bump (no pun indended) to ruin my PC, cuz I move it around alot.

I would absolutly sacrifice (temporarly till my friends dremel and more cash come in) performance to make sure everything is secure and neat lookin.

Please feel free to chime in! I'll try to learn quick:D

On a side note my parents are gonna phreak the hell out when they see me building this!

They got concerned when I was hacking up heatsinks with a saw. I can only imagine the response when I tell em Im watercooling my PC....lol

My father was never the handiman so he dosnt understand. The only one who would have a clue is my mom. Her dad did all kinds of crazy stuff, ranging from several pantents for RCA to working in the space program. Reguarldess of this u pplz know how moms can be :rolleyes:.

Fortunatly since its my cash they dont have a say in it :thup:

A couple more questions. Is the best mixture for fluid: 25% Anti-freeze and 75% distilled? Or is the water count higher?

Finally what sort of clamps do you reccomend, steel or plastic?

As always you guys are the greatest :thup:

Last edited:
Back