• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me understanding water cooling!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

murdok5

I am a noob to water cooling.....I am currently running a 3.2EE at 3.4 on a IS7-G mobo with a 9700 pro. I would like to overclock considerably more as I do alot of video encoding and gaming. I have been looking into watercooling and want to purchase it. My case is a Lian-Li PC-65. I also ahve a floppy drive, sound card, 2 CDroms, and 2 SATA HDD, so my case is pretty full.....so here goes.....

i want to cool cpu, gpu, and chipset. i need a water block for all of these....i was thinking dangerden for all.

then i need a pump and a radiator. Im going for max cooling here.... noise isnt the top priority, so i want somethign good. do i understand this correctly--- the radiator needs to have a fan on it to help cool the water....then it goes to a resevoir....then to pump...then back to system??

do i need a resevoir? do i need to refil the water? what about transportation if i move my case is eveythign safe?

the final question is the setup....what connects to what? does teh CPU, GPU, and Chipset have to be connected in parallel or series? isnt parallel going to work better so the water is cooler at each part than in series? then teh water goes to resevoir/pump?

if anyone knows somewhere or can help explain this to me that would be great. im mostly looking for a guide or drawing to show how all my stuff would be connected....then recomendations of waht products to buy....thanks

mike

Wow, lot of questions, but you seem to understand it pretty well.

Dangerden is a good brand.

A lot of people like the Mag 3 pump because it is cheap and powerful.

You shouldn't need to refill the system. A resevoir is easier to fill the system with, but you could just use a t-line instead.

As long as everything is sealed, which it should be, transportation is no problem, you might bump a little bit of air into the system depending on how its designed, but it would purge itself when turned on.

As for parallel and series, most people find that it doesn't matter very much in terms of temps, it should be good either way.

Good luck

murdok5 said:
i want to cool cpu, gpu, and chipset. i need a water block for all of these....i was thinking dangerden for all.

Dangerden is good, but price is aconsideration, as well. Look around on the Water Cooling section, but I'm pretty sure a White Water is up there, if not the best. Look here for more information.

murdok5 said:
then i need a pump and a radiator. Im going for max cooling here.... noise isnt the top priority, so i want somethign good. do i understand this correctly--- the radiator needs to have a fan on it to help cool the water....then it goes to a resevoir....then to pump...then back to system??

Head is more important than flow rate, generally.As previously posted, the Mag 3 is a good pump, but pick for yourself, just keep head and flow rate in mind.

murdok5 said:
do i need a resevoir? do i need to refil the water? what about transportation if i move my case is eveythign safe?

No, no, and yes your setup is safe, if you take the time to do everything right the firt time.

murdok5 said:
the final question is the setup....what connects to what? does teh CPU, GPU, and Chipset have to be connected in parallel or series? isnt parallel going to work better so the water is cooler at each part than in series? then teh water goes to resevoir/pump?

You want the system set up like this:

pump--->rad--->CPU--->GPU--->NB--->pump

The downside to parallel is the use of splitters, which add to restriction and lower flow rate. Generally the NB and GPU don't need nearly as much cooling, anyway.

I suggest the use of a t-line instead of a res, as it takes up less space and is less likely to leak.

murdok5 said:
if anyone knows somewhere or can help explain this to me that would be great. im mostly looking for a guide or drawing to show how all my stuff would be connected....then recomendations of waht products to buy....thanks

Here is a good place to start.

Whatever you do, dont get a pre-built kit. With a little knowledge you'll be able to buy a better kit yourself for less money. Its very easy, just read some guides on water cooling, and the posts above me are very good and informative.

okay...so let me see if i understand the order.......

say i put my pump on the bottom of the case....and a radiator on top.....the water goes UP to the radiator...then down to cpu..then down to chipset..then down to gpu...then back to pump and up???

so i have decided on the waterblocks....now i jsut need tubing, pump, and radiator? what are some suggestions for these...im looking for high quality stuff.

also what is a T-Line and where do i put it?

waht about power for all of this??? i have an Antec trupower 430 watt PSU...is that sufficient? what onnection does the pump and/radiator have?

thanks for all your guys help!!!

mike

Last edited:
murdok5 said:
okay...so let me see if i understand the order.......

say i put my pump on the bottom of the case....and a radiator on top.....the water goes UP to the radiator...then down to cpu..then down to chipset..then down to gpu...then back to pump and up???

so i have decided on the waterblocks....now i jsut need tubing, pump, and radiator? what are some suggestions for these...im looking for high quality stuff.

also what is a T-Line and where do i put it?

waht about power for all of this??? i have an Antec trupower 430 watt PSU...is that sufficient? what connection does the pump and/radiator have?

1.) Yes.
2.)Tygon tubing is best, get a radiator from an auto parts store, one that fits your case. They are called heater cores. As far as pumps, read other people's posts.
3.) It's a T adapter that lets you fill your syste with water. Try to put it at teh higest point in your system.
4.)It depends on the pump. the radiator depends as well, but it isn't powered.

Back