• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my own waterblock design.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

Well, its been a while now since i've been into watercooling, since then i have seen many-a-block out there...

Recently ive been studying waterblocks and their performance, i am particularly interested in the cascade and whitewater/rbx blocks, they seem to be the top dogs out there, but very recently i thought of a great waterblock design idea that i have not seen implemented yet....

Basically this idea would combine elements from the whitewater/RBX, the cascade, and the Dtek Spiral.

I believe that when these three design concepts are combined, the result will be the most efficient waterblock design concept ever....

The general idea is to have the highest surface area of the inside of the waterblock out of any waterblock out to date. And the water will be forced to go through all the surface area to exit. The center of the waterblock would be designed to be as thin as possible without collapsing, and if possible would be made out of silver.

It striked me as odd that nobody has yet to bother cutting a hole in the center of the waterblock, a very small hole that would be just larger than a cpu die (not much larger) and the hole would be filled in with molten silver, not much silver will be used at all, about just enough silver to maybe make a small ring or two. The rest of the waterblock would be copper

There would be a few drawbacks, this would he HIGHLY complicated to mill, and might be flow restrictive.

I am still contemplating on adding two exit nozzles or just sticking to one, according to what the idea is, its probably best to add two exit nozzles to increase flowrate as this waterblock idea could become quite flow restrictive.

As soon as i get home i will draw a top-down diagram VIA paint and post it up here so that the design could be better understood. Actually i might end up drawing two designs, one for double exit nozzles, and one for single.

I also need to look up the maximum length and width requirements for heatsink/waterblock sizes, i would attempt to use as much area as i can (make the waterblock as big as possible) and stay within the limits at the same time.

edit: its been about 10 minutes of brainstorming, i have thought up of another waterblock design that i am quite sure nobody has ever thought of yet, but the drawbacks for this design would be corrosion, in this design very thin strips of copper will be used, and maybe there would be some corrosion issues because of this. Another drawback to this alternative idea is that the waterblock would be quite tall in height.... It would be quite a large waterblock, and would possibly require "side" inlet and outlet tubes instead of top-down tubes (they would be positioned high atop the waterblock so as to not interfere with motherboard components.)

Last edited:
Hum sounds intresting but the way I'm interpriting it it seems VERY flow restrictive and complicated...

If I ever make a block I'm going to take a piece of copper than take a 50x50MM or so area (for tecs :p ) and drill half holes all around about half way down. Than around the CPU core area drill a bunch of little holes that go very close to the other side of the copper. Than have the inlet barb right over the CPU and the outlets in the upper right and lower left. Making it a good TEC and non TEC block at least I'd think.

I got an idea. Anyone ever think of sealing a Thermalright heatsink and turn it into a huge RBX. Have a flat spray that goes the whole sink wide (perpendicular to the fins)and have the outlets on the ends near the base.

It may be huge but imagine the c/w on something like that :drool:

Actually, having a thermalright heatsink as a waterblock wouldnt be as efficient as i was thinking.....

heres what i was thinking:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cpu-zal-05.html?id=ad3pI8j8

Encasing THAT into a waterblock, of course the fins would have to be re-arranged, and the innards of the waterblock would be made to flow around it....

(this was the second idea, the first idea involved a custom design and was much more complicated than this)

But i would imagine that would be highly efficient in heat transfer as the copper fins are wafer thin, thats why i was talking about corrosion problems....

Has anyone tried anything like this before?

Sentential said:
I got an idea. Anyone ever think of sealing a Thermalright heatsink and turn it into a huge RBX. Have a flat spray that goes the whole sink wide (perpendicular to the fins)and have the outlets on the ends near the base.

It may be huge but imagine the c/w on something like that :drool:

AX7 waterblock

Back