• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 loops... 1 res... comments?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe Camel

Senior Camel Kicker
2 loops: 2 pumps; 1 "hot" loop, one "cold" both using the same res....

anyone tried this B4?

anyone who understands the rules of fluid dynamics have any ideas/thoughts? (J/K:D )

my thoughts: the different restrictions of the 2 loops (***-u-me the same pump) will make this 2x as complicated!

is this worth kicking around?

im THINKING of using some/all of this: parts in my sig [NOT the TEC!(yet) or slitedge] + Caprice core, chevette core, Dtech WW, 2nd Mag3 (maybe Eh. 1250), DIY res (1 gal.)

sounds alright to me.. u might get some crazy whirlpool action though, lol. might want to figure out a wait to prevent that if u can't get all the air out of the res.

alright, i know what might get this started. ill post what i THINK and y'all can tell me why im wrong (J/K)

let me start by pinning down the parts of the loops.

loop 1: Mag3, 5/8" fittings/tube out, 1" tube "over" pump inlet, Dtech WW (5/8" tube with 2 clamps works over 1/2" barbs) 5/8" tubes "Y"ed to 1 5/8" into res. (pump-WW-Y-res-pump)

loop 2: Mag3, 5/8" fittings/tube out, 1" tube "over" pump inlet, "Y", Bix II , caprice , (rads in parallel) 2x 5/8" tubes back to res. (or "Y"ed back to 1 into res) (pump-Y-2x rads-Y?-res-pump)

ok.. here we go...

assumption #1) 2x rads (wish i had 2 of the SAME) parallel will have less restriction than the WW; thus more of the water will flow thru the cold loop vs. hot.

assumption #2) this will = lower temps.

#3) having better flow thru: rads & WW, will make them more efficient. (keeping in mind the point of diminishing returns)

#4) see #2

#5) having 2x pumps will = more "pump heat" (NO assumption there)

#6) im missing something:(

EDIT: 1" inlet tube over pump inlet: NOT! 3/4" with barbs: YES

Last edited:
great point Korndog!

thats why i want to make a big res. i assume the flow of the water within the res might play a (big?) role in this and i can manipulate it easier in a bigger volume res.

Ya I can think of something that uses this method........its the human heart.

Sounds like a great idea. I may do the same with mine.

res thoughts:

8" dia PVC pipe standing 8-10" tall. cold loop inlet near top, outlet near bottom. hot loop inlet near bottom, outlet near top. cold pump on 1 "side" of the res, hot pump on opposite "side".

PS. still hoping "the water god, Cathar" will post some laws of fluid dynamics on this idea.

edit 8-10 (12-15" too big)

Last edited:
parts update-bump-

getting the 2 heater cores. (thanks repilce :D )

*IF!* i have the room... anyone know a good way to tube 3 rads?
(BIX2,caprice,chevette)

i know there are "T"s and "Y"s, r there "W"s? LOL (sorry)

or is 3 rads WAY WAY past the point of diminishing returns?

still havent picked a pump or fans.....(4 Torin blowers & MD Iwaki... 20 or 30 rzt pump:drool: )

the Blowerdude:rolleyes:
PS. this project WILL be built and tested (as best I can)

I have 2 rigs each running a dual loop cooling system. The cpu loop has a L30 - RBX - 120.2 - dual bay res. the gpu/chipset loops has a L30 - z-chip - maze 4 - BIX 2 - dual bay res. the loops share the bay res.

Both rigs have big cases to fit all this in it. (pc-75) I have had these since October 2003, and I have the lowest temps that I have ever got using the dual loop method. But it isn't for everyone. it is very expensive, and takes a big case to pull it off nicely.

the diferance with your setup, Rokk1972 and this one is; you have a WB (or 2) and a rad in each loop. my twist to that is 1 hot & 1 cold loop. with the hope that the lower restriction cold loop will way "over-power"/"over-flow" the hot loop, and give lower temps.

i plan on building a "box" to set next to / under my PC case.

Joe Camel said:
res thoughts:

8" dia PVC pipe standing 8-10" tall. cold loop inlet near top, outlet near bottom. hot loop inlet near bottom, outlet near top. cold pump on 1 "side" of the res, hot pump on opposite "side".

(what program do y'all use to draw pics?)

PS. still hoping "the water god, Cathar" will post some laws of fluid dynamics on this idea.

edit 8-10 (12-15" too big)

err.. pvc pipe is a cylinder, whirlpools are more likely to occure in those types of res. i've seen it happen with a 4" one, but i don't know about 8-10", i'm working on a 12"x2" clear acrylic pipe myself, but only use one pump.. just make sure ur inlet to the pump is really really low.

ahhh. i get it.

huh, i was thinking of having the inlet to the cooling loop up high to pull the warmer water off the top, then outlet cold near bottom, where the inlet to the warm loop would be (bottom). maybe ill have to think non-cylinder....

thanks for the input Korndog!

What exactly do you mean by 1 hot & 1 cold loop??

Like 1 loop for block and one for rad?

Edit: attualy forget that i just read your post again, understood it this time:)

yep. (i try to explain that in first few posts.)

loop 1: Mag3, 5/8" fittings/tube out, 1" tube "over" pump inlet, Dtech WW (5/8" tube with 2 clamps works over 1/2" barbs) 5/8" tubes "Y"ed to 1 5/8" into res.

(pump-WW-Y-res-pump)

loop 2: Mag3, 5/8" fittings/tube out, 1" tube "over" pump inlet, "Y", Bix II , caprice , (rads in parallel) 2x 5/8" tubes back to res. (or "Y"ed back to 1 into res)

(pump-Y-2x rads-Y?-res-pump)

I dont think the restriction differace in each loop will matter too much.

Cant see any obvious problems. The only thing that comes to mind is that your putting 2 pumps in the loop and that means 2x the amount of heat dumped by the pump(s) but i would think the increse in flow rate may counteract that.

does this help?

i WANT the restrictions (flow) diferance between the 2 loops to make a differance. 2x the flow thru the rads (probly less) "should" help lower temps...right?

Attachments

• 2loop3.jpg
    2loop3.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,538
Joe Camel said:
yep. (i try to explain that in first few posts.)

loop 1: Mag3, 5/8" fittings/tube out, 1" tube "over" pump inlet, Dtech WW (5/8" tube with 2 clamps works over 1/2" barbs) 5/8" tubes "Y"ed to 1 5/8" into res.

(pump-WW-Y-res-pump)
have you considered changing the 1/2" OD barbs on the whitewater? should cut a bit of restriction, and also give you safer joins i think....

Joe Camel said:

loop 2: Mag3, 5/8" fittings/tube out, 1" tube "over" pump inlet, "Y", Bix II , caprice , (rads in parallel) 2x 5/8" tubes back to res. (or "Y"ed back to 1 into res)

(pump-Y-2x rads-Y?-res-pump)

better without the second "Y" i think ie 2 lines to the res...
think a mag3 is counterproductive in this loop - 2 rads in parallel + 5/8" tubing isn't much restriction, so you're adding more heat (with a mag3) than you need to.. 1250 would be better i think...

IF i could find 5/8" barbs that would fit the threads taped into the poly-top...sure. but i havent found any:(

pump stats:
Mag3:........35watts.......350GpH......10'6" head
Eh.1250:....28watts.......317GpH........6'7" head
.................(-7).............(-33).......(-3'11")

KornD'smaxi.....9.............240GpH.......3'10" head

think 7 watts is worth the -33Gph & -3'11"head?

are there any HIGH flow (lower head) low watt pumps?

pump pages:
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_pumps_eheim_universal_hobby_powerheads.asp?CartId=
http://www.pondandfountain.com/pumps_danner.html
http://www.reefsplendor.com/pages/pumps/maxijet.html
edit: heck, think.. +10watts ... +150GpH (Mag3 vs 5) is a good trade-off? with a low restriction loop i might see more of that +150Gph than we do in a standard loop...

Last edited:
Joe Camel said:
IF i could find 5/8" barbs that would fit the threads taped into the poly-top...sure. but i havent found any:(

pump stats: ....... Mag3: - 35watts - 350GpH - 10'6"head
......................Eh.1250: - 28watts - 317GpH - 6'7"head
........................................-7 ...... -33 ...... -3'11"

think 7 watts is worth the -33Gph & -3'11"head?

yes - rads aren't really boosted much by extra waterflow - a 1048 would probably be optimum - or an mcp600 (i only said 1250 as you'd mentioned it in your op...)
Joe Camel said:

are there any HIGH flow (lower head) low watt pumps?

pump pages:
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_pumps_eheim_universal_hobby_powerheads.asp?CartId=
http://www.pondandfountain.com/pumps_danner.html

edit: heck, think.. +10watts ... +150GpH (Mag3 vs 5) is a good trade-off? with a low restriction loop i might see more of that +150Gph than we do in a standard loop...

not enough to be worth it... iirc you'd get more flow from a mag3 than a mag5 even with just the rads.

Back