• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternate broswers..which to use? Mozilla or ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aktunka

Ok, I have never used another browser besides Netscape (still have version 4.7 on my pc hehe) and IE, but with all of the popups and other crap out there I am wanting to try a different browser. The only one that I know of for sure is Mozilla, but are there other good ones out there? I saw at the Mozilla page something called Firefox, but is that different than mozilla and is it better or worse? Any help sorting out if these are my only choices, and if there are differences, would be greatly appreciated.

Firefox is a total rewrite of the Mozilla code. It's leaner, meaner, and "better". Of course, it hasn't reached version 1.0 yet so there are still bugs lurking (though the release IS very stable). It's not as polished as the Mozilla broswer since it's still being built, but still great :)

Another good browser is Opera. You can download a free version with ads (which amazingly aren't too annoying :D) or pay for it. It's a full featured browser like Mozilla, and has lots of following and support. It's another great choice.

I'd suggest checking both out to see which you like best. With any non-IE browser, it usually comes to personal taste.
JigPu

I use Opera and never notice the ads. You are so saturated with adds on the net that I didnt know they were there until someone pointed them out one time. I've said before, it's fast, has a ton of skins and really cool mouse features.

I personally prefer Opera. I like the features and its what I am used to. I have tried Firefox, but don't like the interface as much. ;)

I prefer Firefox. It's more streamlined than Mozilla (no bloat or things I won't use, not to say that Mozilla is overly bloated to begin with), and it's completely free, whereas with Opera, you have to pay to remove the ads.

It's a very full-featured browser, with lots of different extensions to make it do different things, or extend functionality even more.

JigPu said:
Firefox is a total rewrite of the Mozilla code. It's leaner, meaner, and "better". Of course, it hasn't reached version 1.0 yet so there are still bugs lurking (though the release IS very stable). It's not as polished as the Mozilla broswer since it's still being built, but still great :)

Another good browser is Opera. You can download a free version with ads (which amazingly aren't too annoying :D) or pay for it. It's a full featured browser like Mozilla, and has lots of following and support. It's another great choice.

I'd suggest checking both out to see which you like best. With any non-IE browser, it usually comes to personal taste.
JigPu

FireFox/FireBird is the Mozilla Browser w/o all the extra componets such as an E-Mail client.

I really like firefox, I have been using it for about 3 weeks and I never use IE anymore. When I do use IE I am constantly trying to use mouse gestures and tabs.

I used to choose Opera over Mozilla Firebird because the mouse gesture feature is very convenient.
Now that I found Mozilla Firefox have lots of plugins including the mouse gesture feature, I use both. :p lol. I know it's weird. lol. Reason?

Firefox: I like the Ctrl + mouse click to open the new content in a tab. I don't like why it can't read Chinese in some sites like www.coolmanmusic.com...

Opera: I like the way it operates the "bookmarks in folders" in the link bar. I don't like the large amount of space it uses at the top of the broswer.

Tek~Zone said:
FireFox is not in Beta. The current version is v0.8.

Download Mozilla FireFox v0.8 Here!

Anything before version 1.0 is considered as BETA.

Opera sucks because one ad is already too much ads.

Firefox is lean and mean.

Dillo is blazing fast but incredibly incompatible.

Galeon is mozilla written in GTK :p

Links is the best thing around.

thanks for all of the info guys. I went ahead and downloaded firefox and mozilla. Only used firefox so far, but so far I really like it. It seems to be faster than IE overall, and haven't had many compatibility issues yet. The biggest compatibility problem so far has been with video at MSN and foxnews.com, and the radio function at the battlefield: Vietnam thing isn't working either. Could I be missing some plugins for this or something?

Back