• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of mounting a TC-4 on my NB, comments?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nick Burns

Your company's computer guy
I am about to go into watercooling and cannot justify spending more on my chipset block than I am spending on my CPU block. That is when I saw the TC-4 S&D's for $15. Now I am thinking about putting that permanently onto my mobo with Arctic Alumina or Arctic epoxy(are they the same? what is a difference in them?). Is there any advantage to a NB block on the NB instead of a CPU block on the NB?

A CPU block would work great, IF YOU CAN FIT IT ON.

The AS epoxy should work a bit better than the AA as well, and it you want to easily remove the block, mix in half of your thermal grease as well.

Or do the freezer trick. :D

Hey thanks for the warning, I guess I will wait for the board to get here before ordering the block so that I know if it will fit or not. Otherwise I will have to buy a Z-chip from Dangerden when I get my Maze4 GPU.

beerhunter drilled new holes, he is using random holes on the fx card. There are holes all over.

I think maybe he did use the gpu holes and 2 others, but the holes are nothing like the chipset holes, I know for sure that you wont be able to use the holes and still have it cover the chip completely.

Jon

Just had another thought, I don't want to buy an overpriced GPU block either. What about two elbow joints and a TC-4 on the GPU as well? That would save another $20 or so. Would the elbow joints really slaughter my flow rate? I plan on using a MCP600 pump with a bay res.

It'd be a bit of weight, but it can be done. If the elbow joints are large (such as male to female connectors), then pressure drop shouldn't be a big problem.

Take a look at the link above about beerhunters fx with a TC-4 on it. its got elbows. Sure they will kill flow, any block will kill some flow. If you get some sweeping elbows it will kill less but will probably still kill some flow.

Jon

It'll be cheap, so go for it. It shouldn't affect your temps too much. Wait... On the issue of the holes, you were making fun of beerhunter, right?

no... I was saying that new holes will need to be drilled.

Jon

I will just mount it permanently with Arctic Alumina, unless there is a problem with that other than it being there permanently. Would that put too much strain on the core's socket?

Uhh, I think that'd be too much weight. You could try rubber banding it to the card in a "x" fashion. Just make sure they're strong enough.

Back