• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X Deluxe Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DJLucky0ne

I have a system that I built about a year ago, I want to purchase new Ram for the system. I have one stick of 512 xms 3500, I want to get 1 GB min (2x512) to take advantage of the dual channel. My question is can I get another xms 3500 and run it correctly or should I get two 3200 since that is the max speed the MB supports? My FSB is running at 333, would it be to my advantage to get 2 sticks of 2700 to match my FSB? I am getting confused the more posts and links i read :(

Any help would be great!
Thanks

innards of my PC if anyone needs them

AMD XP 2700+
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
2-120 GB Scsi HD's
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
1-512 stick Corsair xms 3500

Thanks again

My question is can I get another xms 3500 and run it correctly or should I get two 3200 since that is the max speed the MB supports?

IMO go for 2* XMS 3500 and why not run faster than max speed the MB supports;)

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

So would I have to mess with FSB or Memory timings to use the 3500 ram so it won't just run it at 3200? There's no point in me having 2 3500 running at 3200. (hopefully that made sense)
If so where can I get the settings? I have nothing in my system OC'ed, I'm not scared of doing it, just haven't really played with the bios options that much.
I have many fans so I am set with airflow, any other thoughts?
:)

With it being a year or so old I assume it is the 1 or 1.4 version...and if so and you plan on running at 190FSB or above...odds are you will have to do a vdd volt mod to it...

If you dont plan on OCing that high...then I would go with PC2700 and overclock that since you will be getting better bandwidth with the overclocked PC2700 then the underclocked PC3200 or PC3500

You can set the FSB and voltage in the Advanced Features...set it too "user define" then adjust everything you need too...

Yes, my mb is a lower revision (don't remember which right now)

OCing my PC to run at 190 doesn't really appeal to me, escpecially if I have to change the voltage...SSoooo,
If I got Two sticks of 2700 and OC'd it how would I OC it?
...and what kind of memory is sugguested? Should I stick with Corsair? I had absolutely no problems with the stick that I have now...besides the speed.:D

well since I dont know what CPU you are running...or cooling for that matter ;)...but if you have a unlocked CPU then you can lower the multiplier (CPU) and raise the FSB to default CPU speed without raising the core voltage or memory voltage...and most can do a few hundred Mhz over default speed on default voltage...

But to OC your memory you will have to up your FSB speed...so if you would want to OC your memory without OCing the CPU...the above way if what you should do...if not on a unlocked CPU...then there will be no way to up the FSB without overclocking the CPU...

And if you want to stick with what you have...sounds like a good choice...2x512 Corsair

amd athlon xp 2700+
I have 4 fans running, (besides cpu, video card, & powersupply fans) moving air in the front of my case, and out the back. I am able to change CPU, memory settings, and voltage in my Bios, I have the asus a7n8x deluxe. So which should I OC, if I got 2-512's of 2700.
Thanks

Is this a newer 2700?
If so, then it is more then likely locked...if that is the case...all you can do is change the FSB speeds and memory timings...

Also, what heatsink/fan combo are you running and what kind of PSU?

I used to run a 1.4 A7N8X Deluxe...a few actually...

I got the cpu when i got the mb, about a year and a half ago...do you need me to try and find out when it was made?
my heatsink etc is volcano 9 with artic silver.
power supply is an enermax 350.

from newegg:

512MB XMS pc2700 $110
512MB XMS pc3200 $120
512MB XMS pc3700 $144

i couldn't find any pc3500 listed but i'd imagine you could find it somewhere for around $135

i would by another stick of pc3500 so you have a matched pair. truthfully, pc3500 is overkill for your particular board revision...

your xp2700+ runs at 166x13 stock (2166MHz), you could start out at 200x10 just to see if your board will handle a 200MHz fsb. or if you don't want to get into the nitty gritty, i would guess that 185x12 (2220MHz) is a safe bet, prolly get you a little better than 10% more cpu performance, coupled with an extra 512 ram, plus going from single to dual-channel (leave the middle slot empty for dual channel)... you should see a nice boost in performance.

ps - have you updated the bios since you bought the board? with bios 1001E i was only able to do 157fsb, with 1004 it went up to 197fsb, and with bios 1007 i was finally able to hit 200fsb with total stability.

My Bios is up to date.
Yeah, the 3500 is overkill, so shouldn't I get two sticks of 3200, or 2700 for dual channel and OC it from there? :cool:
Which speed do you think would be better for performance?

I have played a bit with my speeds etc. (Still haven't gotten new ram, maybe the speeds will help in a decision) I have a question, i (probably is stupid question but here it goes) I set my speeds to 185x12 like suggested earlier, the only thing I question is why exactly is this a bonus of 10%, my windows is showing the processor as a 2400+, I have a 2700+, is it because my fsb is bumped up? does that give me the boost in cpu power? sorry, i am new to the whole oc'ing thing. I have also gone through a whole oc'ing process to get max cpu numbers and fsb number to find my limits, but again I am curious about the ram issue, should't I buy two sticks of matching ram (2700-3200) that is made for my mb? wouldn't that perform better than my original stick of 3500 (that is too much for my mb)? ...enough rambling on my part...any help would be great. Thanks:)

Back