• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pppoe in winxp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vanibanez

got a major prob when starting up in xp. i get to my regular desktop and it waits about 3 minutes before it shows the network icon down in the corner.i have it narrowed down to my isp's pppoe adapter. when i uninstall it pc starts windows quick and normal. i tried to install it by going into xp's network setup but when i get to choosing my connection only the lan,dsl,cable modem choice is highlighted.not the use a password and username connection is highlighted [i hope everyone knows what i'm talking about :) ] does anyone know how to get the option in xp so i can set it up, thnx in advance for the help.

I'm pretty sure the PPPoE software also syncs the modem to the network etc, and allows for an IP lease. There's really no getting around using it.

Actually... XP is supposed to have PPPoe built in... I'm not near an XP machine right now... so I can't be too helpful, but since PPPoe is supposed to be standard (I think...) that is how those DSL/Cable routers are able to log on, by having PPPoe built in. So ususally its possible to avoid using the ISP's PPPoe software.

I'll mess around with it a little at work tomorrow, hopefully I can find you an answer if you haven't recieved one by then already.

Back