• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just ordered Water set up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
Well i will be a water cooler next week I hope.

I ordered 2 D-Tek rev 2 blocks {25.00ea,$50.00}
Mcp600 Pump {74.95}
Heater core for a Lexus {17.99}
I have 2 120mm {Free}
Clear resivior {24.00}
Tubing {9.00}
Water wetter {3.50}

Total: $165.00
I thought the price was great for cooling a dual...

I also have a dedicated Dual 300w psu with a 14a 12v line and a 30a 5vline on each supply, For the pump and fans.And a 500 Watter for the mainboard and drives.

Of course I am a noob at this so I have to ask the obvious, when I install this what should be the sequence of my water flow. Rad First, Procesors, resiviour and back to pump ?

Makes no difference. The total resistance is equal to the sum of all resistances.

The average temperature of the water throughout the loop is what matters, not the temperature at any one point because there is very little variance. So component order doesn't really matter.

What is more important is that you put them in an order that lets the tubing bend gently and fit inside your case conveniently. ;)

Nice component selection BTW. It's a pleasure to see someone really not skimping on the pump cost. Don't skimp on the leak testing either before you install. ;)

for ya cpus, i would split the water coming in into 2 lines with a Y, and then on the out do the same thing only back into 1 line with a Y. so that way you dont carry over the heat of one cpu to the other.

It doesn't really make a difference though thegame, the heat from one CPU has very little immediate effect on the water temperature. The water gets warmer continually, not immediately.

Splitting the water into a Y, with the same diameter tubing, will also slow the velocity of the water through each block. Velocity increases turbulence and helps heat transfer.

I think its best to keep everything in series.

Great I am siked I made decient choices..If not for these forums my selection would have been rather difficult. And as far as the pump selection the 12v pump is the Reason I decided to go water.

I never understood why no one made a 12v pump before. And when I saw this one and looked it over seeing the Revision and the tech support for it I was sold totally on it..

How Important are shrougs on the radiator ? I checked the heater core out and it holds almost 2 cups of water and has very little restriction for air flow..Are shrouds necessary ?

Necessary? No.

Helpful? Yes.

Shrouds with two fans will not only greatly increase the effective amount of airflow through the heatercore, but they will also increase the surface area of the heatercore over which the air flows.

I haven't seen exact temperature differences (which wouldn't mean much coming from most sources), but if you look at how much more of the heatercore is getting air blown over it with two shrouds then it just makes good sense to use them. And with a push pull setup, you get a lot more airflow from the fans working together than with just one fan pushing or pulling.

Back