• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pump = screwed up monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hydr0 Styles

The desk I have is rather small, maybe four and a half feet long

I've got a Hydor L30 in my case, and it seems as if i can't have my case on the desk anymore. I have to put it on the floor to the right of the desk, because the magnetism from the pump is warping my monitor A LOT.

Is this normal?
Is there anything I can do to maybe block the magnetism?

I really don't want to put my case on the floor, as it will suck in tons of dust and hair

:(

Yup... there have been many complaints about the RF interferance / magnetic fields from those Hydors... I'm not all that sharp on blocking such problems, but I *think* I've heard of people using tin-foil to help out... maybe a lead box of some sort?

Or... Jell-O... that works well...

there is a box called something like the iron jacket for eheim pumps. you could think of making something similar for yourself. or just put it on the floor. i do notice a lot of dust in my case, but that would happen wherever i put it i think. unless you have a cat or something, then i might be able to see why it would be dustier/hairier

real easy solution worked for me.. TIN foil WILL NOT.. it will NOT shield anything. unless it's like 1/4-1/8 thick at LEAST.. and you'll be lucky to get it at that.

just reset your monitor to 60hz refresh and see what that does.

repilce you have a point with the tin foil its way to thin to make any noticable difference, but the 60hz? When my pump was giving me rf problems I just upped the refresh rate, was at 60hz at the time, to 120hz, it was still there but it improved it quite a bit. But thats not getting rid of the problem, its just masking the problem.

I have heard of people being able to shield rf devices with copper or steel connected to ground, but I think there was a capacitor between them? Don't remember its been such a while, does any one know what i am talking about?

Kevin

I have a ViaAqua 1300 and I have to move my PC about 1.5ft away from my ViewSonic P95F and have the refresh rate as high as possible. My video jitters all over when in the bios or Win splash screens, but is rock solid once I get into windows.

I believe that people have had success using a coffee can as a shield, but I hate to think how uncool that would look inside my windowed case. :)

What you need is some iron/steel casing for the pump. A steel computer case can also shield the magnetic interference from the pump sitting inside. My Eheim 1048 did the same thing to my 19" before, it's been fixed with a baby milk powder can.

Back