• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Real fast Maze4 GPU question: Does shim need to be removed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nick Burns

Your company's computer guy
I saw the picture on the Dangerden website and it almost looks like the copper plate sticks out a little further than the rest of its base. Does this mean that removing the shim on my 9800pro is unnecessary because it will be able to contact well already? Or does it not even stick out further, but merely looks that way?

I'd leave the shim in place as 9800's have shims slightly lower than the die. Previously some 9700's had shims that were at the same height as the die or even higher than the die.

I'd say just leave the shim alone as it's not hurting anything or impeding the performance, but it does protect the die ;)

I just installed a Maze4 gpu block on my sapphire 9800 pro and left the shim in place. The block sits just right and I've had no problems at all.

I have a Maze4 on my 9800pro. The bottom of the block is machined so you don't have to remove the shim.

If you want to see a live shot of the block, I'd recommend going to DDs website and downloading the Maze4 installation video.

Back