• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Couple of simple questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adaman

I got a couple of simples questions, at least i think they're simple :p.

Heat has always been a big problem for my computer, I'm hoping water cooling will be the solution for that. Though i'd like to get an idea of how much my temps will drop. Here's a water cooling setup i've got my eye on at the moment:
RBX: $53
Hydor L20: $35
Chevette 86' Heatercore: $22
Clearflex60 - 10ft: $12 (20% off)
Hoseclamps - 15: $11.25
T-line: $1.75

So about how many degrees (Celsius) should that drop me? I just want to be sure it's worth the dough.

My other question is, will i need a new PSU? The one i have right now is an antec 350w. It's already handling the rig in my sig, plus 4 hard drives. Will water cooling put it over the edge? Or are PSUs not affected much by water cooling? I'm not so sure.

The pumps are 120v so they plug into the wall. Thus having no effect on the PSU.

As far as temps go its hard to say. You will notice that they are less jumpy, as water has more efficany than air. You will not see them going all over the place. Most likely you will O/C higher too. I am not going to guess as there are too many variables.

Lets just say that a 2.4c MO that I was playing with ran at 40c load clocked to 3.6ghz.

Yeah, i was thinking that, Polar. So no guesstimates? :p, i just need an idea of how much it'll cool down my system.

Switch to a WW and Mag 3. That should get you 17.5 degrees above ambient with a 125W load. SP-97 with a loud fan will get you 28.75 degrees above ambient with the same load. (This is based upon a die simulator, so you can only compare the temps. You won't get them.)

Thanks for the replies.

Right now on air I'm getting 47c load and 59c max load. My room is about 68 degrees Fahrenheit. Though I'm without an intake fan at the moment, it's surprisingly hard to find 120mm fans.

Last edited:
Then they add $5+ shipping though, which sorta kills the deal. Guess it's still the best out there though.

So from what i gather i'll pretty much just have to buy it and try it out to see what it does, if i don't get results that i think are good enough then i guess i could sell it...for probably half the price =p

Also, i wonder if i can even fit the stuff into my case, there is very limited space as it is.

Ehh, sorry to bump again =p, would really appreciate some help.

I was also wondering how loud that setup would be?

Back