• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why can't I delete this file?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RuffRyder88

I have a video file on my laptop, which for some reason I cannot delete.
Everytime I try to delete it, I get a message saying that it cannot be deleted becuase another program or person is trying to use it. I have tried closing all programs, and even tried to delete it in safe mode, but with no luck.

Normally i wouldnt mind just keeping it, but is over 200MB, which a lot on my drive!

I would appreciate any help.

Regards,
Bob

I deleted stuff that was in a playlist in windows media player, w/o using windows media. When it gets to the song, it just says that it cant find it and turns it red.

Vasto said:
I deleted stuff that was in a playlist in windows media player, w/o using windows media. When it gets to the song, it just says that it cant find it and turns it red.

I've had mixed results mostly seems to happen with large video files.it's worth a shot as it would take less than a minute to try.

I had this problem with an ISO I made. Just could not delete the thing. I tried safemode, no good. So I tried booting to the command prompt and manually deleted it. That seems to have worked. You might want to give it a shot.

I've had that problem a couple of times with entire folders. Had a game installed and I was messing around with game files and made a copy of the directory and when I was finished messing around I tried deleting the copied folder and *bwow bwow* it said no. I gave up trying stuff to delete it and left it till I had to reinstall XP a couple of months later.

I had the Same problem wit ha 128mb Jumpdrive, I just copied everything but the file that I couldnt delete to a hard drive, then i formated the Jump drive. You could do that with the laptop if you hook it up to a LAN.

Back