• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

who has improved an OC by upgrading PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ruiner

Specifically, by getting one with a stronger 12v rail (now that amd mobos use the p4 12v plug).

If you have, how much did it help your OC, and did you see the difference in your voltage readings.

when I still was on my ASUS board my chip would max out at 2GHz @ 1.7v (1.73 mbm5 reading), and then I couldn't even OC my video card or it would crash, then I went out and got a new PSU.
With the new PSU I could finally max out my CPU at 2.1GHz @ 1.85v (1.9v mbm5 reading) and could easily OC my video card with out stability issues, my +5v line also stayed pretty stable at about +5v and before it would go down to as low as 4.73v when I was getting the crashes.

My sig-rig wouldn't even get past 170fsb with my old psu(qtec450W), then someone on this forum told me that i should get another psu. Got hold of a used 360W chieftec w/atx12V-connector No I can get to 185fsb where my memory refuses to cooperate.
All the rails are higher and more stable with the new psu...
In other words: If you have a crappy psu then it will hold back your oc.

Back