• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

512 PC2700 ddr ram - where to start oc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phamine

I noticed that most guides refer to using PC3200 ram. What would I do if I had PC2700?

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 132
alot of PC 2700 will do PC 3200 speed, but not all of them will, relax the ram timing a little and see if it can hit 200mhz. if not then u'll have to try some other RAM, or run at a ratio, I got crappy spectec ram that suppose to be made by "micron", what ever that is :) but it's PC 2700 that can do 180 FSB at tighter timing than the ones u are listed, infact it's 2-2-2-7.

Okay - I raised fsb to 182 and noticed FSB:DRAM ratio changed. Keep going?

Also - The frequency is decreasing - what does that mean?

With the NF7-S bios - I have the ram timings adjusted automatically

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 127
Ideally, you'll want to hit the highest FSB you can with the memory at 1:1, and tight timings. But the only way to know what that will be is to experiment.

My HyperX PC2700 will do 214 FSB with tight timings on my 8K3A+. But I think it is an exceptional stick of RAM.

Okay here's the new timings. I guess I need to buy some good oc'ing ram

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 109
Even cheap PC2700 should be able to do at least 166 at 1:1 and CAS 2.5. Bumping the memory voltage up is usually good for some extra speed, just don't overdo it. Have you tried changing the ratio manually? You'll need to set SPD (Serial Presence Detect) to off in the BIOS.

I'm no expert with Nforce chipset motherboards. You'd probably be able to find more information on memory settings for your board in the Abit AMD motherboards subforum, or the storage and memory subforum.

My voltage for ram right now is 2.6 - how much should I raise it to? Should I generally increase by .1 or .5?

I start with the smallest increments you have available in the BIOS settings. Just change one thing at a time, and work towards optimizing your system.

Eventually, you'll find your limit.

Average PC2700 does high 180s to low 190s FSB 100% insync.

If they do more, you have an above average PC2700 stick.
ALmost all Samsung PC2700s do more but others may or may not:

So expect high 180s or low 190s with increased Vdimm and Vcore voltage (Watch your temps as you increase the voltage.)

Back