• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is my SATA RAID not booting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markedmundb

Hi,

After getting a new NF7-S (after BIOS death(?) of my old one) the RAID won't boot.

By not boot, I mean, it'll find the SATA Disks & the RAID, run through the POST diagnostics page, then just sit staring blankly at me.

Had similar problems after upgrading to BIOS21 on the old board. I think I fixed it by disabling the firewire?

Tried disabling it and all other on-board stuff (just to test). Set the timing to 1ms and 30us.

Serial ATA is enabled, so is SATA ROM. I can access the RAID from the old PATA disk I had before I got the SATAs, after installing the SiI RAID drivers.

Running all at stock (in case OCing was the cause).

Win2k needs a rebuild, so I thought I'd do it this morning. Set up to boot from CD, put the 2K CD in, booted, F6 pressed, floppy disk in the drive. Select SiI 3212(?) SATA driver... Delete old win2k partition... Setting up again... Goes for a restart...

Don't boot. Gets past POST diag page, just sits staring blankly...

When the next order for work goes in, I'll get a DVD burner and some media to back up all the hundreds of Gigs of stuff I've got on the RAID. In case the RAID needs killing off, for a complete restart...

Which will be a major PITA. Wanna try other stuff first, but what? I'm stumped on.

The only stuff inside the case at the mo is my graphics card (PNY ti4600), the RAID of 2 x 160GB hitachi 7k250 SATA disks, my CDRW, DVDROM, both sticks of RAM and my old (donated) Maxtor 18GB PATA disk...

ANY FURTHER IDEAS- ALL IDEAS GREATFULLY RECEIVED...

I've tried every boot order imaginable :
SATA, CDROM, Floppy (IDE disk wasnt connected.)
CDROM, SATA.
SATA, HDD0, CDROM.
Floppy, CDROM SATA
SATA, HDD0...

It doesn't display anything, after the 'POST diagnostics' screen it just sits there, blankly looking at me.

Tried every form of boot order... (CDROM 1st- ran through press "any key..." message and just sat there) Even did HDD0 after SATA, and it still just sat there.

If there were DOS drivers for the RAID, then I might try to FDISK/MBR it, but there's not, so I can't...

I'm hopefully getting a DVD-burner soon ("Happy birthday markedmundb") and 50 DVD-Rs. It looks like I'll have to burn off all that's important to DVD-R and delete and rebuild the RAID.

Back