• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Newbie question please help if you can

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kbird

Need some serious help, so please bare with me as I’m completely sleep deprived. I just bought received my Abit NFS-7 v.2, XP-M 2500+, and some PC-3500 Kingmax ram. The TH7 II and 1.6a northword finally died after a 2year 800Mhz overclock I’m a complete newb to AMD and DDR ram. My problem is should the boot screen show the MHz speed, and also say unknown CPU? Because the Bios will only allow userdefined, is that right? Also I can not get my Adaptec SCSI 29160 card and Ultrastar drive to work at all. I’m not even able to get the CD rom to become the boot drive. I turned off every intergrated peripherlal, but nothing is working. I think the SCSIs and the Serial ATA are causing my problems, but at this point I’m clueless. No sleep due to a new baby boy, who cries all night, I’m an accountant and tax season work hours are killing me. I’ve got maybe two hours a night to get this thing going but by the time I get back to the damn thing I’ve forgotten what I did the previous night. And to top it all off after removing the A drive from my second old P-3 machine and turning it back on I get these pretty blue and yellow horizontal lines, which I found out was my Geforce 4 died. So I slapped my old Radeon 7200ddr back in to the P-3 setup and all is well so far.

So to recap is my Mobile suppost to say unknown CPU, and please help me get my SCSIs working on the Abit NFS7 board?

Forgot to mention that my last boot screen reads

ESCD success
Unknow CPU
disk boot failure

something like that:(

Found one question answered about the Unknown CPU, which is yes it will read that due to the bios differences.

Please help with the SCSI boot problems.
Should I move this to storage now?

Thanks
Karl

Last edited:
unfortunately i don't know any thing about scsi drives, can't help u there, but one thing i know for sure is that it suppose to be "unknown" CPU, they are laptop CPU and the desktop mobo are not supose to regconize them.

bleh; I have NO problems with the mobile barton with my DFI - supposedly the unknown cpu problem has been common to the NF7-S. I myself would suggest my board as we've gotten amazing overclocks with the mobile; unfortunately, that is a biased opinion and i know for the fact that the mobile barton does indeed work with the nf7-s mobo. Have you tried to flash to a more recent bios? Maybe that would help your results. Also, make sure to search the forums. You can find tons of info here and at www.amdforums.com

Hey Warlock

thanks for your help, I was getting really concerned about that and just found it in a search from this forum, anyone else?

thanks again
Karl

Yes Deception I think I've got the CPU figured out but my SCSIs are a pain in the *** with this board due to the serial ATA I think. You think if I installed an IDE drive and then install my scsi drives would work. Or should I just move all the scsi stuff to my second rig and just buy a new WD raptor drive?

Go to Integrated Peripherials in ur BIOS and choose OnBoard PCI Device (not OnChip). It should then show u a menu where u can disable SATA. Maybe that will help?
Also does your SCSI card have a BIOS? Are the drives recognized by the card? Also AFAIK a SCSI card always brings up its own menu after the POST screen, do you get that menu?
Maybe the card isn't seated correctly or something?

Coolest, I will choose that option again and see what happens, I was going back and forth last night I not sure what is enabled and disabled at this point. My SCSI is posting its normal bios, and posting the Ultrastar at 160sync and 16bit and the Quantum drive is the same. I've go into my scsi bios utlility and selected default settings but nothing, same thing everytime I boot.

ECSD Success
Unknown CPU which is ok
Unable to locate boot disk.

If I was at home I could give a better description of my boot bios message. Whats weired is I set every damn boot device to CD Rom and still couldn't get anything. You do have to have a hard drive installed to get the CD Rom to boot right?

ugh tax returns suck! better one WORK SUCKS!

Thanks
Karl

Back