• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mounting to a RADIATOR ? Auto Zone...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
I thought this would be helpfull for everyone.

To mount a fan or shroud to a heater core use Transmission cooler mounting hardware. Part#226201. This is made of nylon and is used to mount a Tranny cooler through radiator fins.
http://img29.photobucket.com/albums/v87/diehrd/P3060859.jpg

You simply thread them through no damage at all doing this.

Here is a blurry pic, but it shows the end that you slide on Zip tie style.There are also 4 foam pads as well.
http://img29.photobucket.com/albums/v87/diehrd/P3060855.jpg

The rad and this kit where 23.99 and the rad will accept 2x120mm fans easily.It is 11.5 X 5.5/8 and 2 inches deep. The inlet and out let tubes have approx 1.5 inches of perfectly straight cooper tubing before making a turn to the left.More then enough to cut and mod easily..

Will fit at the top.It is 11 inches long 5.5/8 wide and 2 deep..Part # at auto zone is..399078

Last edited:
After readin the other thread I went to HD and got a pack of 4 1/2" rubber washers like 80 cents same effect with zip ties, or close enough in my box i am very happy now :)

ok so basically on this mod you run the zip tie through the mounting hole on one fan, then through the radiator, then through the mounting hole of the fan on the other side. So basically you are squeezing the Heater Core between the 2 fans. Then just repeat this for the other 3 mounting holes. sounds good. you have just eliminated one of the problems I was trying to figure out.

I used them too, but I could never get that little tab thingy on the sliding part to go into the locking hole. Luckily, there's about enough friction to hold it

diehrd,
Used part # you listed, 399078 in Auto Zone search engine and part not listed. Spent 2 days looking for a rad to fit 2 fans. I assume you have a heater core. Do you know what year and model auto it is for?
Will you please list the measurement of the fin area?
Thanks

That is the correct part number that was written on the box.I think it is a 77 Bonniville with a/c

of course for the typical chevette heater core

There's the CoolingWorks CoolShroud.
(I'm only going on pictures, have ordered one but don't have it yet.)
As best as I can tell, this goes around the outside of the core, with tabs on the outside edges for screws / threaded rod / zip ties / whatever.
It's a good solution for me as I'm putting a core in the lower front of a case, want to use a single fan in "pull" mode - and this lets me hog out a hole in the case nearly as big as the core (I'll just drill holes to match the "tabs" on this shroud.)

BTW - that's a really nice looking core you found - especially for under-$24

diehard, Thanks for the info. I got the heater core from Auto Zone.
# 399078 is heater core for 1985 Chevy caprice w/AC. Poor solder job on one I got. One end (fins) measures 5-1/2", other side 5-3/4". Then (fin) width 10-5/8" one end, just under 10-3/4" other end.
Napa has this core under 2 part numbers. Only dif is 1st digit. 4 or 6. Number beginning with 6 is about $26 more.

diehrd said:
I thought this would be helpfull for everyone.

To mount a fan or shroud to a heater core use Transmission cooler mounting hardware. Part#226201. This is made of nylon and is used to mount a Tranny cooler through radiator fins.
http://img29.photobucket.com/albums/v87/diehrd/P3060859.jpg

You simply thread them through no damage at all doing this.

Here is a blurry pic, but it shows the end that you slide on Zip tie style.There are also 4 foam pads as well.
http://img29.photobucket.com/albums/v87/diehrd/P3060855.jpg

The rad and this kit where 23.99 and the rad will accept 2x120mm fans easily.It is 11.5 X 5.5/8 and 2 inches deep. The inlet and out let tubes have approx 1.5 inches of perfectly straight cooper tubing before making a turn to the left.More then enough to cut and mod easily..

I couldn't find the nylon bolts for mounting the heater cores at all, can you check that autozone part #? The website returned nothing. What are they called exactly? Name search also brought up nothing.

There in the store, you will not find them at the web site.There made to MOUNT a TRANSMISSION cooler to a auto radiator. If you have a counter person get a trany cooler you can open it to see there 8 inch nylon zip bolt.

No ya dont have to buy the cooler..Look in it so the dumb counter man knows what you need for fastners.

After explaining to them what I needed, and finally getting them to bring out a trans cooler, I got the rods. They were $4 plus tax and seems like a clean neat solution to mount heater cores. Found these at Murray's Autoparts.

mountrod.jpg

Back