• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob settings for AN35n

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Badger85

I've read through some of these posts and I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

My goal is not to have the fastest setting, but the most stable - with speed if you know what i mean.

I'm pretty much starting from scratch.

Basic system is:

Shuttle AN35n Ultra
Barton 2500+
2x512 mushkin pc 3200 dual channel RAM

I've read here about different voltage settings and Ram timings and basic overclocking.

These are the setting's I currently use and I gotta say that it's not that stable using a couple programs. Primarily Audio sampler programs that use RAM to store and reload samples (some of these programs can use up to 2 gigs of ram not including the program itself) - but that will be a different story.

FSB=166
Memory frequecy is currently on AUTO and reads
T Ras- 8
T RCD-3
T rp 3
Cas Lat -2.5

CPU Ratio select: set at AUTO (choices are between 8.0 and 11.0)

CPU Voltage: Set at AUTO. Choices are 1.70 to above 1.85
The Auto setting chooses above 1.85

Ram Voltage: set to AUTO. Choices are 2.6 or 2.7. Can't tell what it's actually set to.

I have a couple utilites like Sandra and 8ravcore and mobo montior which are fun to look at :D

I'm not really that confused with the Ram timings or FSB speed. It's the voltage settings. I think it was because I stuck a screw driver into an electric socket when I was 4. never recovered. Therapy made it worse. So now my mother is the A/C socket!!??? Damn you Freud!!! :bang head: :beer:

So I was wondering if someone could just give me the settings to start with? Thanks!!

Welcome to the Forums Badger!

"So now my mother is the A/C socket!!???" - LMFAO! :D

Is your Barton locked?

What are the default timings and votages of your RAM?
Should find this at Mushkins website.

I'd start with Expert-Aggresive CPU Interface-100%\Sync-Expert-11-3-3-2.5 w\2.6V VDimm, CPU VCore to 1.65V, both spread spectrums disabled, fastwrites enabled, 128mb aperture and buffer.

Download Memtest86 and Prime95, you said you already have Sandra. Start by upping the FSB by increments of 5. For each level, run 2 loops of Memtest and 1/2hr of Prime, then try the next setting and test again, you gotta have patience & take notes. I like to throw in a round of some video benchmark to track its performance increase at the same time.

OC Link: http://www.overclockers.com/articles740/

Regards, Balrog

Last edited:
CPU Voltage: Set at AUTO. Choices are 1.70 to above 1.85
The Auto setting chooses above 1.85

You want to set that to 1.7. Excess heat might be causing your instability.

Thanks for the info Balrog and Quailane

Is My Barton locked? Heck if I know - lol. When I go into the CPU voltage control it does let me change the CPU Ratio select multiplier. However I changed it to 9 and then 10 (currently on AUTO) and it said "Warning!! in safe mode - check memory" or something like that. So I'm guessing it is locked. At this point I don't have time to visually check the actual CPU (dedlines for work etc)

I made all the adjustments you suggested - except I can't change the Vcore. I did change the "CPU Voltage Select" to 1.7 as Quailane suggested. The mobo manual says I should be able to change the vcore but it has the 'x' by it and is blued out and haven't figured out how to change it.

So now I'm running at a 180 FSB and my cpu speed is 1987. I ran memtest overnight and had no errors. My CPU temp is now averaging around 46 compared to 38 before. Though my case temp is higher too (So Cal sun). I have a couple different heat sinks but the AMD stock one seems to run the coolest - cooler than my thermalTake at least. I'll worry about excess heat later. Unfortunately i actually have to use this machine. ;)

Also as far as the Ram timings go, I see a lot of people posting their numbers really low - like 2-3-3-2.5. My TRAS was on 8, then when i set memory frequecy to 100% it went to 7. Now I have it at 11 as per your suggestion.

I also read somewhere about increasing the voltage to the ram modules but I don't think this Mobo can do that.

You also mentioned "128mb aperture and buffer." I assume that's AGP aperture which I set at 128 (formerly at 64mb) . So is buffer the same thing? I don't have anywhere to select a buffer setting.

Thanks again for your help.

My bad on buffer, I was working on the kids MN31N IGP board and my fragile little mind got confused.

Memtest looks good.

CPU Voltage Select = VCore

It will drop into safe mode if you try to make too large of a change or if you try and change the multiplier and FSB in the same step. Change one, save to CMOS, reboot enter BIOS and make second change. Its Shuttles way of preventing BIOS corruption that plagued the early nForce2 boards. Its a pain, but I prefer to a corrupted BIOS.

You might want to improve your case ventilation with a side duct so the CPU HSF can draw cooler room air directly into the sink. As long as your load temps stay below 50C I'd leave it alone.

RAM voltage is on the same BIOS page as the CPU Voltage Select, down at the bottom with the AGP voltage options.

Regards, Balrog

Back