• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A mobile barton challenge!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nunya

Registered
I need to convert my Mobile Barton XP 2600+ to a non-mobile so that it will run in my Abit KT7 (Via KT133) mobo.

I currently runs but at a max multiplier of 12.5x. I need a way convert the chip so that it uses the 13x to 24x multipliers.

I think this has something with the "5th" bit, but I do not know for sure and I have been out of the overclocking game for about 3 years.

Who can solve my problem?!

Additional question . . .
My L3 is like this |--||. Can anyone with a non-mobile barton post their L3, and L5 configurations.

Last edited:
You don't have to turn it back into normal. what you do need to do is one of the next 2 things:
1. Break the 5th L3 bridge
2. Do a wire-in-the-socket trick. Its pretty simple, take a speaker wire, and pull one thin strand out of it, fold it into U shape and insert it into the correlating holes in your socket. I did this and its easy, efficient and undoable.
look at this page, at the BOTTOM PIC, and the circled in red connection. When you join those two holes you set the 5th multiplier bit to HI and it gets you access to x13-x24 multiplier.
Before doing that I strongly recommend setting your multiplier in the BIOS to x7. as at x13-x14 (x5-x6) you will not get a POST, and at x14.5 (x6.5) it will get remapped to x21, and it'll boot at 100x21. x7 gives you x15 with the 5th bit set to HI.

YOU ARE THE KING!!!

I have been trying to get more than 1.25 ghz out of this thing for almost a week, and I was sitting here with the knife when your post came in.

THANK YOU!

Did it!

Running at 2.4ghz on a computer I built 5.5 years ago.

Sandra 2002 Benchmarks
CPU Arithmetic :
at 1.2 ghz 4324/1827
at 2.4 ghz 8339/3708

CPU MM
at 1.2ghz 8386/3369
at 2.4ghz 21589/21970.

Memory and HD speeds are probably going to be my biggest limiting factors, but it is cool to be at this speed.

Although, I do wonder if it is a temporary thing, or does the wire short something in the cpu. Any ideas?

It doesn't short anything, its not a temporary, thing but a reversible. It connects forces VCC into the 5th multiplier bit on the motherboard, making it "Think" that the CPU's 5th L3 bridge is not connected that is all.
Say can I get a screen shot of GCPUID (My sig, red link) on that rig of yours?
If you need to host the screenshot, just email it to me to the email in the About portion of the program.

I have an akura 7528 HSF that I was unsure would handle the new CPU.

Doing great. Idling at about 35 celcius, under load at 48 celcius.

When summer comes, I will probably put a better fan on it, but for now, AWSOME.

Thanks again.

Updated Screenshot

Last edited:
Hey coolest, I was wondering if you were familiar with the mod I need to do to overclock my mobile 2500 higher and reach higher FSB's. I've heard the people doing this mod with nf7-s are reaching much higher clocks and FSB.

I went to the link provided and would like confirmation about some of the drop down menu's. For vcore, are you supposed to pick a specific vcore or just leave it on "vcore selection"? If I pick specific vcore's it changes the pins involved. I assume to leave the Multiplier drop down on "unlock: multi via bios up to 12.5x" For FSB, should I pick 166 or 200? If I pick 166, it looks like there are only two sets of 2 pins to connect. Does that sound right or is 200 better? Please let me know if this picture looks right. Thanks.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 476
I've got my mobile 2400 running on my KT7A-Raid, haven't done a pin mod yet though. I'm running it at 1.67GHz for the moment. I'm just going to go ahead and set the multiplier to something that will boot so I won't have to worry about it if I ever need to clear the CMOS.

So Far . . .

104x24 (2.496ghz) @ 1.69 volts.

I'm impressed with the cpu.

I cannot tell much difference over my 1.2ghz in everyday use, but Unreal Tournament is MUCH faster.

lol, nice work nunya. 2.5GHz on a 3 year old motherboard. That's definatly an achievement :D oh and thanks for fixing the screenie :)

FatesWarning said:
Hey coolest, I was wondering if you were familiar with the mod I need to do to overclock my mobile 2500 higher and reach higher FSB's. I've heard the people doing this mod with nf7-s are reaching much higher clocks and FSB.

I went to the link provided and would like confirmation about some of the drop down menu's. For vcore, are you supposed to pick a specific vcore or just leave it on "vcore selection"? If I pick specific vcore's it changes the pins involved. I assume to leave the Multiplier drop down on "unlock: multi via bios up to 12.5x" For FSB, should I pick 166 or 200? If I pick 166, it looks like there are only two sets of 2 pins to connect. Does that sound right or is 200 better? Please let me know if this picture looks right. Thanks.

Each drop down menu represents a specific mod. you don't need anything else other than the FSB mod, basically only one pair of holes to short.
that guide is made so you can change your default vcore, FSB, multiplier. But as your mobo has full control of everything, you don't need to do the mods, but as you mentioned sometimes, by making the CPU's default FSB high might allow for higher FSB overclock.
That's the only thing you should change. I wouldn't recommend doing the 200MHz mod, as you will have to put 2 wires into one pin hole, which might simply not let the CPU to be mounted correctly afterwards. One wire in a pin hole is ok tho.

You know . . .

. . . I would have bet money that I built this computer 5.5 years ago.

But I checked the release date on this mobo, and looks like I am WRONG.

Must have been 3.5 years ago. (August of 2000.)

Ooops.:)

lol
maybe you've built the computer 5.5 year ago, but then upgraded CPU and mobo 3.5 years ago...
Have you pushed your CPU any higher now?

No, this is the original mobo - just my second cpu upgrade. 800mhz to 1.2ghz to 2.4ghz.

As for pushing cpu, no to that also. My HSF is an Akura 7228 and at 2.4ghz, 1.725 volts, I idle at 30C, max at 45C. I am pretty happy with the performance/heat/stability ratio for everyday use.

However, when I get caught up on work and can afford to have my machine go down (just in case of an OOOPPPPSSSSSS) I will try for more. I would like to know the CPUs upper limit.

TBH running that CPU in such an old motherboard really bottlenecks it a lot. from experience I tell you, I've ran a Tbred @ 2.1GHz on a KT266A board, and now I'm running a Tbird 1.4GHz in this NF2 board, and this system is actually faster than the old one with the Tbred.
I defiantly recommend you get some dough together and get an NF2 motherboard with some good quality RAM, you'll be flying then

I am slowly building a graphics/web design workstation.

Have:
Barton XP+ Mobile
160 Gb Samsung Harddrive
21" CTX Professional Monitor

To Go:
Case + PS
Abit NF7 - S mobo
2gib ram (PC 3200 - OCZ most likely).
2 more HD for Raid 0
Next Gen Video Card (Radeon 9900? - or whatever they name it.)
Speakers
DVD-/+RW
etc.

This old computer will become my testing computer and the new one will be for work.

I am hoping to do my upgrade for under $1000 total, but we will see.

In a year and a half to two years, I hope to buy an actual work station. ($3000 to $4000 range), but that will have to wait for now.

I also need a MAC G4 or G5, a small laptop, $5000 in various software packages, and about $2000 in operating capital.:)

It is a little overwhelming sometimes.

But, thanks for the advice about the mobo (and please forgive the rant).

Brian

Back