• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

northwood dead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

murdok5

im tryign to learn about watercooling and i really want to start a WC system. you can see my system specs at the bottom. im almost at capacity of the technology im using, i mean spend 250 for a WC setup would not get that much of a perfomance increase i believe.

intel and the 478 package are done, they have been for a while. BTX is comin out, and the prescott core (a stepping stone to tejas).

so why would i want to invest in this watercooling now if i will need new blocks and to change everything when the formafactr changes and there is a new package for the processor?

so i think i will wait untill next year when i have a new computer to build a watercooling system, cause i dont know how much i can squeeze outta mine....

what are other peoples thoughts on this?

okay this is a TOTAL newb question........whats is this folding i am reading about? i have never heard of it.......(dont laugh)

1) you can reuse "most" of your parts. out of: pump, tube, rad, fans, res (if used), waterblock, you only have to replace the waterblock. 1 out of 6.

2) its something to do while you wait for all the cool new stuff to come out

3) when it comes time to cool an OC'd Teja, youll be "almost" ready

edit: FOLD (please) http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=275819

Last edited:
I have very little self control so that's why I am setting up my WC even though I could be saving up for that next big step intech. I figure this will be a good foundation for when I do step up plus I JUST HAD TO :D

Not sure how viable it will be but most of your cooling will carry over to the next tech. You could get new mounting hardware for socket 370 blocks to work on socket 478 ( again I don't really know how well these really worked though as I wasn't really to up to speed on WC yet). Most likely though you will rethink or be inspired to redo a new WC rig with a new system anyways.

People get into WC for a ton of reasons. To increase performance, to eliminate sound, just to do it...Plus others I can't think of at the moment. If you are into building a WC rig I say go for it and let the bank deal with consequences ;)

you'll probably be able to use the same block..
the manufac of blocks should start selling new mounting gear for new sockets when they come out, i know Dangerden has a socket clamp upgrade for A64 for 16 bucks and a waterblock top upgrade for 11 bucks. Thus u won't really have to change much..
just like i've told people before, watercooling is a good investment. My watercooling system has lasted me 3 generations of upgrades already. Besides that, good air cooling is noisy, changing to water will allow u to get quiet fans and still preform better then air cooling.

i realize that u jsut need moslty likely one new water block.....but im thinking of the rebuild hassel that comes with it. granted i ahvent built a WC system, so this would be first...then it would be a good idea to rebuild soon anyway to check it out and make sure its working right?

Back