• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobile getting hotter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hydr0 Styles

my mobile 2500+, which I run at 250x10 at 1.8 vcore, used to idle at around 31c, and load at about 39.

Every day, it's been getting hotter and hotter.
Today, it IDLES at 40c and load is about 45-47C

Is anyone else having this issue?

I've reseated my waterblock about 3 times, with no success.

If it gets any hotter, I'm not sure what I'll do.

Just for kicks, see what the temps are at 200x12.5. I have a feeling it will be much cooler. The chipset is working harder at 250x10. Also, check for dust bunnies at your intake if you have any case fans at all (seeing that you have a waterblock). If not, you should get a case fan at least blowing over your chipset and mosfets, if not a rear exhaust fan.

65stang said:
well gosh id be happy with 250fsb and 45C load, im at 200x11 and i load at 51c =/

it's not 45c load, it's 45C IDLE

I used to idle at 31C

It's been getting hotter every day

And booting at 200x12.5 did not lower temps, because the ammount my chipset is working has no effect on how hot my CPU is.

But thanks.

That doesn't sound too bad.. although it is quite a lot more than what u used to have. Most of the Athlon's start acting funny around 60C, right (from experience)? Or is it different for every athlon chip? Mine's idling at 46c and 52 load rite now, although it's at 1.96v @ 12.5 multiplier and it's prime stable.

Hydr0 Styles said:

And booting at 200x12.5 did not lower temps, because the ammount my chipset is working has no effect on how hot my CPU is.

But thanks.

Not directly. But if you have heat buildup around the chipset it will increase case temps unless it is quickly dissipated by an exhaust fan. Since the cpu is in the case, it is affected by its ambient temp.

blues13 said:
That doesn't sound too bad.. although it is quite a lot more than what u used to have. Most of the Athlon's start acting funny around 60C, right (from experience)? Or is it different for every athlon chip? Mine's idling at 46c and 52 load rite now, although it's at 1.96v @ 12.5 multiplier and it's prime stable.

it doesn't matter if it doesn't "sound bad"

The reason I'm angry is because my idle temp has jumped 10C over the past few days.

Something is screwing up, and I don't know what.

I just reseated my waterblock, and put fresh AS5 on it, and still the idle temp is high.

Do you have any temps written down from slower speeds? If so, try clocking it back to low speeds (like 2Ghz) and see if it's still running hotter at closer to stock speeds. In other words, is the heat increase consistent at all speeds or is it only happening at overclocked speeds?

Everything kosher with the waterblock? I'm assuming you checked it out already.

Let us know if you figure it out. Seems really weird.

when you were idling at 31 those were not accurate temperatures, with that voltage your idle should be what you have now, base don my experience. I would not worry much about that.....

mata2974 said:
when you were idling at 31 those were not accurate temperatures, with that voltage your idle should be what you have now, base don my experience. I would not worry much about that.....

:eh?:
I have no idea what you just said

So you're saying the 31 idle I've had for two weeks is not accurate, but the 45c idle I have in the past day is?

timzak said:
Do you have any temps written down from slower speeds? If so, try clocking it back to low speeds (like 2Ghz) and see if it's still running hotter at closer to stock speeds. In other words, is the heat increase consistent at all speeds or is it only happening at overclocked speeds?

Everything kosher with the waterblock? I'm assuming you checked it out already.

Let us know if you figure it out. Seems really weird.

yeah everything is good with the waterblock...

I have read about temps increasing with artic silver 5...

Over time temps should decrease, but for some people temps actually increased a good ammount...

Maybe I should try the old AS3.

Give re-pasting your chip a try, and see if it helps at all. Also, are you *sure* that your ambient temperatures have remained constant since your chip temperature started increasing?

If you have an external temperature probe, you might want to hook it up to read your processor temperatures, so that you can compare it with your motherboards's readings, and check for discrepency.

What are the specifics of your water circuit?

Have you checked your pump, How old is it. My roomate had a problem with his pump, he had a foam filter in his reservor to reduce air when he primed his system (we have to reprime a lot moving back and forth out of the dorms) and it actually deteriated over about a year or so and partially clogged his pump. Make sure you have good impeller and that your pump path is clean. Hope things get better man.
-Ir0nman

no the pump is brand new...

I think I may have figured it out, I think the block is making poor (if any) contact with the die on the left side.

When I take the block off, there is still AS5 on the left side of the die, whereas on the right side it's off (the block pushes the AS5 off the die).

I've reseated dozens of times, but still there is poor contact on the left side...

Which waterblock are you using? Have you checked to make sure the block lies flat, and that the base hasn't been warped (it can easily happen if the screws holding the block together are overtightened)?

Poor contact could be the problem, but it doesn't explain why the temperatures have been getting progressively worse over the past two weeks, unless contact has also been getting worse. It wouldn't hurt to give your mounting hardware a second look, especially the springs.

About the temps- those mobiles are designed to be operated in the most hottest of environments. You can hit 100C and it would probably keep ticking. It might also be due to environment. It was nearly 65F yesterday here in MI, and my temps rose from about 39C full load to around 46C in just a few days. Now its a little cooler and I'm down to 42C.

Just becareful installing. I'de hate to see that core crushed...

just wondering... since its getter warmer where i live you sure its not your environment changing ;p this thing called spring is right around the corner =p

cherryp00t said:
just wondering... since its getter warmer where i live you sure its not your environment changing ;p this thing called spring is right around the corner =p

lol I'm sure it had something to do with it, but a slight increase in ambient temps won't result in a 15C raise in idle temps.

I'm sure I figured it out, I'm at 32C right now :)

the block was mounting like crap, I had to take it nice and slooooow

also, this chip becomes even MORE stable at a lower vcore.
yet I STILL can't get past 2.6ghz, I'm good to go 250x10 at a nice 1.775 volts. 2.5 Ghz is a nice number, as is 250FSB. Nice and round... good numbers.

Although when I got the mobile I was longing for a 2.7, maybe 2.8GHz clock, I'll settle with this 2.5 @ 1.775v any day.

This 250MHz FSB really FLIES!
I'm loving the memory bandwith.

Back