• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swifty & 72Watt Tec Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iceman2g

How effective would a MCW372 with a 72W tec be at cooling a Radeon 8500? The only I don't like about it is that it's only 3/8" ID and I run a 1/2" ID tubing in my setup. Would this be a problem? Here's link to the block. The tec is 40x40. If 72W is a problem would I be able to get something with those dimensions that has a little bit more power? Thanks in advance.

I know alot of people use 80W pelt for 9600 card, so I guess 72W should be enough for a 8500LE... have you tried to search the video card forum for heat output of your card? Usually, most tec users use a TEC with a rating around twice as big as the heat output of what they want to cool. So for an overclocked vid card that "emit" 40W of heat, a 72-80W TEC will be enough. You can usually found *on ebay and tec resellers) TEC up to 120W (sometimes even more) with 40x40 dimension.

As for the swifty, i know nothing about these blocks, so i cant help you.

In this thread (found with a simple search ;)), someone state that a 8500 will emit around 20-25W of heat, since it is around what an agp slot can pump in the vid card. So a 78W will be plenty enough and the max theorical dT you will get with it is:
(78-25)/78*65= 44°C , that's 44°C difference between the cold plate and hot plate temperature, NOT gpu and water temp.
Also, this result assume a dT max of 65°C and a supply voltage @ Vmax for that pelt.

BTW, i am curious, what are the physical dimensions of your gpu core?

Swifty is the best block for TEC since they are not focused on cooling the center part of the block...

Personally I think anything above water on a GPU is an overkill....

Back