• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie on overclocking, Someone help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Necky

Hi to every one

After i read about a week, i'm going to try overclocking my cpu, and i'm sure, you experts can help me

I have:

AMD 2600+ 333 FSB
MSI K7N2 Delta Series
MSI FX5200 128 mb
2 X 512 Kingston DDR 400 (PC3200 i think)
Themaltake Volcano 11

when i first build up my cpu, i find this problems:

1. some times only recognize 1 memory stick (512 mb)
2. depending on the memory slots (1-2 or 2-3) they where single or doble sided (wich one is the right choice)
3. then i test the performance with the standard bios setup, playing ghost recon, and the system boots every time i play the game

then i go to setup, and change to "hi performance" built in interface that mobo has, after that, everything works fine, but i'm sure i can make that system runs faster.

can some one tell me why this problems happened, and what are the best parameters for this system?, is my first oc'ing, i need to know the fsb's, voltages, ratios and more, sorry if i ask to much

Thank you very much guys.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS
.....and the sickness! :eek:

This should be pretty easy to do, but naturally we gotta run some tests b4 we figure out what to do.

First off, Dual-Channel RAM configuration is about 40-50% faster than Single channel. So you obviously want it in dual channel.

Next the RAM:
We gotta figure out what ur RAM is made of. The first thing you learn in OCing is that brand names like "Kingston" dont mean a thing.

Its ok everyone goes thru this phase. I did as well.
--> Back on topic

We gotta figure out what type of RAM chip ur stix are using. Since it is kingston odds are it is using a variant of Winbond

There are 3 very distinct types of Winbond RAM. It is very important that we find out what type you have.

When you are in the BIOS there should be a tab to see what the RAM timings are. If you cannot find them a program like CPUz will tell you what they are.

Winbonds 3 flavas are:
BH6: will run using 2-2-2-5 up to aprox 220mhz ( DDR440)
BH5: Unknown, it is only limited by power. It uses 2-2-2-5 possibly past 250mhz (DDR500)
CH5: *most likely what ur RAM is* Runs 2-2-3-6 up to aprox 225mhz (DDR450)

The reason why ur PC locked up by using optimal is because Winbond is very specific about its timings and will lock up at optimal settings. Winbond only works under Hi-performance type settings.

CPU:

Odds are, ur CPU is locked. That means you will never be able to change its multiplier.

This is what ur CPU is like in the BIOS: 166mgz x 11.5x
You will never be able to change the underlined portion since ur chip is probably locked. Thus you will need to OC the FSB, which is why we must determine what RAM u have.

Odds are, if all goes well *dont try this yet* You might be able to break these settings:

--->215 x 11.5 = 2.472ghz with aprox 1.8-1.85v

In order to reach this clock speed and memory timing you will need some heavy duty cooling. The Volcano 11 is ok but is not nearly as effective as Thermalright's products.

At some point I can gaurntee you will pick one up. The rule of thumb is to not allow the CPU temps to go above 55C* under any condition.

There are several programs that you can use to monitor ur temps. The current favorite is Motherboard Monitor 5, pplz often refer to it by its knick name: MBM5

I would be glad to anwser any question you may have :beer:

Last edited:
I have this board myself, so I can help with the settings when you start getting into changing them, if you'd like. Sentential is on the money though as far as getting your info first before you start. Follow his lead, and if you need help figuring out where/how to make a suggested change in your BIOS, I'll tell you where it is.

ok, here i have my setup settings

Advanced Chipset Features
Current CPU Clock 2083 MHZ
System performance [Hi-performance]
CPU FSB Clock [166 MHZ]
CPU interface Hi-performance
FSB/DRAM Ratio Auto
Current DRAM Clock Auto
Memory Timings Hi-performance
T-(ras) 7
T-(rcd) 3
T-(rp) 3
Cas Latency 2.5
FSB Spread Spectrum Disabled
AGP Spread Spectrum Disabled
AGP 8X Support [Eanbled]
AGP Fast Write Support [Enabled]
System Bios Cacheable [Enabled]
Video Ram Cacheable [Enabled]
AGP Aperture Size [64M]

Frequency/Voltage Control
AGP Clock Control [Default]
x AGP Clock Value 66
AGP Voltage Adjust [1.5 V]
DRAM Voltage Adjust [2.5 V]
CPU Ratio [By H/W]
CPU Vcore select [By H/W]
PCI Clock Auto Detect [Eanbled]

PC Health Status
System Temp 46° C
CPU Temp 44° C
Vcore 1.61 V
+ 3.3 V 3.33 V
+ 5 V 5.05 V
+ 12 V 11.85 V
- 12 V -12.77 V
- 5 V -5.14 V
Battery 2.99 V
5USB(V) 4.89 V

This is what you need Sentential?, Thanks a lot by the way

Necky said:
ok, here i have my setup settings

Advanced Chipset Features
Current CPU Clock 2083 MHZ
System performance [Hi-performance]
CPU FSB Clock [166 MHZ] This is where you will overclock by increasing
CPU interface Hi-performance
FSB/DRAM Ratio Auto Change this to 1:1
Current DRAM Clock Auto
Memory Timings Hi-performance I would change these to the following to start:
T-(ras) 7 11
T-(rcd) 3 4
T-(rp) 3 4
Cas Latency 2.5 Leave at 2.5
FSB Spread Spectrum Disabled
AGP Spread Spectrum Disabled
AGP 8X Support [Eanbled]
AGP Fast Write Support [Enabled]
System Bios Cacheable [Enabled] Set this to Disabled
Video Ram Cacheable [Enabled] Set this to Disabled
AGP Aperture Size [64M] I upped this to 128 since I have 1GB RAM, but should be fine at 64

Frequency/Voltage Control
AGP Clock Control [Default] These are all fine for now
x AGP Clock Value 66
AGP Voltage Adjust [1.5 V]
DRAM Voltage Adjust [2.5 V]
CPU Ratio [By H/W]
CPU Vcore select [By H/W]
PCI Clock Auto Detect [Eanbled]

PC Health Status
System Temp 46° C
CPU Temp 44° C
Vcore 1.61 V
+ 3.3 V 3.33 V
+ 5 V 5.05 V
+ 12 V 11.85 V
- 12 V -12.77 V
- 5 V -5.14 V
Battery 2.99 V
5USB(V) 4.89 V

This is what you need Sentential?, Thanks a lot by the way

Make the suggested changes, and start increasing the FSB clock by 5MHz at a time. Boot windows, and run Prime for 15-30 minutes on Blended torture test. Shutdown, increase FSB clock, repeat until you get to 200MHz.

Keep us posted!

hi XtaticXD00d:

Thanks for your reply, i make the suggested changes and start increasing the FSB just like you post, but the system holds after y run prime at the first 171 FSB, i try others but is the same.

what can i do?

Hey, maybe some one else on the forum have suggestions

please post.

thanks

Necky said:
Hey, maybe some one else on the forum have suggestions

please post.

thanks

I have an awsome link regarding info on overclocking.

First, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!

Second, I will be right back with that link.

Back