• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing XP with a Serial HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

charmapsyche

wow.... Where to begin. I can always begin XP Setup, I specify the driver for the Serial HD, and then it crashes somewhere after that.
-It doesn't seem able to copy all the files off the CD.
I'm starting to wonder if this is because of overclocking.... I have the settings toned down, I don't have any other hardware in the machine. I think I've read the entire Microsoft web site, will take any advice at this point.... thanx

I assume the CD is in readable condition?

Have you tried backing off the settings during install, as in, put them back to stock?

You press F6 and then s to load the drivers for your controller?

A little more specifics about when it crashes?

-Yes, I hit F6, then S to load the driver off the floppy.

-I've tried several different things. I can install my old win98 just fine.
-When I install XP, when copying files for installation, it will tell me it can't copy a number of files(press Esc to continue or Enter to retry)

I'm a little hesitant at running "stock" settings as I am using a mobile Athlon cpu. (stock speeds are 133 @ 600) - Seems to run very stable at 200 * 11

-I think I may have a successful install here, I'm trying to upgrade now from win98, not my ideal way to do it but at this point I just want to get XP up and running!

aw crap, I spoke too soon....

Now I'm getting:

Setup cannot copy the file: msacm32.dll ect...ect.....
There's a number of files it says it can't copy

That is a sign to not overclock your system while installing.

The CPU may run fine, but the PCI may be out of spec if you don't have PCI and AGP lock.

At most if I had to truly overclock, I would go about 100mhz higher nothing more. 100 percent of the time I usually never overclock my machine during installation.

Ahem, let me enunciate more clearly.

Run... it... at... stock... settings... for... install.

After that you can still overclock. There is no reason to run it overclocked for setup. If you want to install successfully, run it at stock. Once you get a good install, you can restart and then overclock.

You are banging your head against a wall for no reason. Atleast try it at stock. If it still doesn't work, come ask again.

Ok, I tried what you suggested. I tried everything I've tried before running at a slow 133 * 6 (stock)... with no luck :(

-However, my new IDE 160 monster just flew in today! Don't know why the exclamation mark because I get the same results with this drive too!!! :(

-SO! I've concluded that it must be the copy of windows I have and not the hardware!

-I thought perhaps I'd try this trial "embedded" version of XP that Microsoft is offering for free on the web, then maybe I could throw my activation code on top of that? That's legal right? I think I'm stretchin' it....

-Is it legal to use any install disk as long as you use the proper activation code?

Back