• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to transfer files to new HDD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vkvenom

Installed a new HDD and did a clean install of win.xp pro !

now i want to transfer all me old progys. and files to the new HDD .

I have tried to do that with the new HDD as the master and the old as slave, but it will not work that way!

what do i have to do to transfer all my info?

For the most part, you will need to reinstall all your programs for that fresh install of windows. Simply copying the Program Files folder over won't do it.

Unless it is a program where you run an exe in a folder, Install Shield apps dump all sorts of files in the win system folders, not to mention tons of changes to the registry.

What you need to do is find your data files, saved games, my documents, favorites/bookmarks, and anything on your old desktop, etc and copy them over to their respective places. Do this after reinstallng the apps/games that you need. Also be sure to run windows update early on in the process.

I usually keep the old HDD around as a slave for a couple month or so just incase i forgot to get something off of there. Stuff that I think I need, but can't delete, I put in a folder called 'old C.'

HTH

EDIT: I forgot that winXP has a 'documents and settings' transfer wizard. That may or may not accomplish what you want. I prefer doing things the old way. You have more control over what you want, and have the opportunity to dump old baggage taking up space.

I agree...reinstalling the programs is the only appropriate way to go for this. Some really old games might have all the files in one folder, but extremely unlikely anything within the past 7 years does.

Back