• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK, Im at a huge dilemma now....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheTick

I was just reading in another thread that the mobiles have been discontinued in favor for the 64's. Now I just sold my ASUS, for a DFI to OC a mobile, I also recently purchased 1 stick of Mushkin BH-6, which wouldnt work with the 64 chips and mobo.

At this point should I sell everything I have for the DFI ( which is only the ram and the board and try to save for a 64 chip and mobo with ram?

Also, my WB now will be incompatible, but a stock 64 chip will beat the pants out of an OC'ed mobile 2600 right?

I need some guidance, I have a few hundred $$ lying around, so If I can sell my DFI (not used at all) and my Mushkin BH-6, I might be able to squeeze a 64 into my budget.

Thx guys

Well, they will have mobile chips in circulation for a little while yet. Just because AMD stops producing them doesn't mean that stores will automatically stop selling them. There will still be stock left for a little while before all the stores run out. Just pick up a mobile Barton, and if you get a good oc out of it, it will give you all the power you need for some time.

for a 64 I'd wait for socket 939 personally or at the very least the newer chipsets from nvidia and via both reportedly have locked pci/agp, which should improve overclocking significantly. If you had a mobile 2600 @ 2.6 ghz I'd venture that that would be roughly equal to a a 64 @ 2.3 ghz. The 64 of course has the future proofing of 64 bit extensions but right now I'd stick with the mobiles at least till the newer chipsets are out, and maybe even wait till 90nm to go a 64.

I agree. Mobile will be around a wile yet. I even have a few. For the 64, wait for socket939....

939 will have dual mem on cpu and mb will have locks for pci and agp hopefully and ocing wonderland for a64 users wait and see i guess.

OK, Ive decided. I am selling my DFI Board, not even used. I wont get the mobile, I will just wait until the socket 939 stuff comes out. Thx

remembers the saying that the first of new things arent the greatest and is happy with his new mobile arriving soon :)

Well, Im on a P4 533mhz with 512 mb pc 2700 and a 40 GB hard drive, soo Im set until this comes out. Even though I need to sell my new DFI board that I was going to use with the mobile I was going to buy on Thursday.

Look at it this way, a mobile OC'ed to the max (2.8 ghz) is at the same level the 64's are at now stock, or maybe a little OC. But I might as well wait for now.

Why? Why wait? A64s cost a lot more.
I dout that if you got it to 2800 mhz that it would be equal to a 2.0 g A64. It would be faster and cheaper. A FX maybe faster but not a A64 unless its overclocked but NO motherboard have pci lock that I know of so they dont overclock very well.

Bleh that's not even true. Look at some reviews. An athlon 64 3000+ with a 9800 Pro gets a little under 20k in sandra, which i hit now with my 2500+ @ 2.4. The 64 3000+ is roughly $220 whereas the mobile 2500+ is about $95. Which one sounds like the better deal?

but take into factor the higher OC ability with the 939 with the locking pci/ agp .. and you have the recipe for a lot higher.

And my XP2500 at 2.31 with a slightly OC'ed 9800 pro only got 17,300. Ive already decided, save my money for the 939, and make a lot of people jealous :D

And its good for AMD;)

Back