• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So how terrible is a Z-Chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
I'm looking for a NB cooling solution, and I'm kind of tired of waiting for DTek to get on the ball and crank out more NB blocks. Is the DangerDen Z-Chip a bad option? Or would the Swiftech MCW20 be a better choice? It's really not a question of performance between the two, as it's only a NB. The flowrates through each matter more.

Swiftech for flow rates, then. Z-chip is not good for the flow. You need adaptors to use 1/2" ID tubing with the Swiftech.

It's a toss up between the two. The swifty is good on flow while the Z-chip is a flow killer. If you can find a way to use what ever barb size on the swifty, that would be the better choice. I use the Z-chip and it does restrict flow but it's not all that bad. But, I'm using it in it's own parallel loop though.

I'd be using this on a parallel loop too. One output from my WW will go to a DD Maze4, while the other goes to the NB. Whatever would be on par with the Maze4's flowrates would be better, I believe.

I did that with mine and it worked out well. Just the NB and GPU ran a tad warmer. Like 2C which isn't bad. I have two outputs on my rad so my GPU and NB are on their own loop now which dropped the temps for them by 2C.

The way your doing is easier to deal with.

WA2: Have you measured it?

A restrictive NB cooler isn't a bad idea if you're running it in parallel with a GPU block. You don't want 3/4 of your water going to your NB...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The Swifty might have better mounting thingies though, and more flexibility with different chipsets.

AngryAlpaca said:
WA2: Have you measured it?

A restrictive NB cooler isn't a bad idea if you're running it in parallel with a GPU block. You don't want 3/4 of your water going to your NB...

but i guess you have to choose between a restrictive NB cooler (to send most to the gpu) and a balanced ww.....

if you're unbalanced, i think you're probably better in series so the ww doesn't suffer...for which the least restrictive nb block would be best...

Here's what I am doing:

Get whichever one you can get for a lower price, and pick up a mini-valve, and some threaded barb fittings, from www.mcmaster.com . Use the valve to adjust the back pressure on your less restrictive (North bridge, and GPU) parallel line to ideal levels. Ideal levels being an even flow rate between the two parallel lines, or as lopsided a flow as you are comfortable with.

You should always favour your CPU line, and your CPU temperature when adjusting the two lines' resistance. Favour to the point of diminishing pressure returns in your CPU line, where lopsiding the flow further is pointless, and harmful to performance on the GPU/CHIP line.

I'm almost done building my circuit (just waiting for one part to come in the mail) with two parallel lines, three waterblocks, three radiators, and a big pump. I've been thinking about this for a little while now, since UberBlue gave me the valve idea (he thought of it and used it in the first place).

Someone please correct me if what I said above is wrong!!

A WW is a fairly low resistance waterblock, with around 18" at 1GPM. It isn't too bad at all. According to my poor measurements, the Z-chip has a pressure drop of 29" at 3GPM, or about 3.2" at 1GPM... Okay then... My measurements are wrong. Having your GPU and NB in parallel will overall get your flow through the CPU block higher. The problem is that the flow isn't balanced for each side of the CPU. I don't know if it matters.

It's not a question of choosing between the CPU on one line and the NB and GPU on another. I'm using the WW as a manifold to split the flow between the GPU and NB. So, basically, I want the NB and GPU flow to be even - their relation to the CPU doesn't really matter.

Well in that case use Swiftech blocks. They use the same construction, so their pressure drop should be fairly even.

I'm at work right now but I'll post a pic tomorrow of how to make a z-chip a lot less restictive.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that block. I have been asking the same question for months (when will the block be available) and I still dont have an answer from DD.

Back