• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

.bat clean up...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

erosion

Registered
bat

Yeah I made a bat file to delete useless files when I shutdown my computer.... I currently have it deleting...

C:\Documents and Settings\Myke\Recent
C:\Documents and Settings\Myke\Local Settings\History
C:\Documents and Settings\Myke\Local Settings\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\Myke\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
C:\WINDOWS\Temp

Are their any other windows folders that contain useless data? Like C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch?

Last edited:
Prefetch can be useful. Bootvis (as well as windows if you give it enough time) use the prefetch files to determine the optimimal file layout on your disk. By arranging files in a specific order, boot times can be decreased. Wiping out the prefetch folder wipes out these optimizations.

Can't think of any other folders off the top of my head...
JigPu

wired14 said:
i'd like to know how you made it:)

basicly... Open notepad...
Paste...

RD /S /q "C:\Documents and Settings\Myke\Recent"
RD /S /q "C:\Documents and Settings\Myke\Local Settings\History"
RD /S /q "C:\Documents and Settings\Myke\Local Settings\Temp"
RD /S /q "C:\Documents and Settings\Myke\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files"
RD /S /q "C:\WINDOWS\Temp"
RD /S /q "C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch"

(edit name and crap)
Save it as something like DelTemp.bat
Then run it and it should delete all the files in the selected directorys...

To make this script run at Shutdown (this seems to speed up my boot time heh)...
Start > Run > gpedit.msc
Then..
Computer Configuration > Windows Settings >Scripts > (Dubble Click On) Shutdown > Add
In Script Name: Browse for the bat you made. and leave the parameters blank =/

erosion said:
Start > Run > gpedit.msc
Then..
Computer Configuration > Windows Settings >Scripts > (Dubble Click On) Shutdown > Add
In Script Name: Browse for the bat you made. and leave the parameters blank =/

Is that only for XP Pro? I have XP Home and it says gpedit.msc cannot be found. I searched my entire HD and it's not there.

Andyman902042 said:

Is that only for XP Pro? I have XP Home and it says gpedit.msc cannot be found. I searched my entire HD and it's not there.

Not sure

Back