• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tongtong

Registered
ummm...i dont know if this is the right section....butttt ill ask anyway. so, i have 128mb of ram on this computer, which version of windows would be recommended?
i wont b upgrading anytime soon, as this is an old system...that my mom uses

With only 128 I wouldn't recomend WinXP unless you get more ram, When I first got WinXP I only had 128 ram and everything lagged badly, So I got another stick of 128 =/

Pish posh. I ran XP on a P200 with 64MB of RAM. Turn down all the gooky interface effects, and it was fine.

98SE is probably cheaper now, though.

ThePerfectCore said:
Pish posh. I ran XP on a P200 with 64MB of RAM. Turn down all the gooky interface effects, and it was fine.

98SE is probably cheaper now, though.

Agreed. I had it going on a very old system as well and it performed better than 98, but that might have been because the 98 installation was really old and crowded with installed programs and other things, it does slow down over time. Anyways, the best thing to do is go with 98 because it is cheaper, its not like xp will give you any gain for it to be worth the extra $$$. Hope this helps.

By the way, this is in the right place because it is related to Microsoft Windows. Thanks for asking.

Matt

that was a long time ago, only stick my friend had at the time.

you should have no problem runing 98se on there or even 2000 on there, id probly pic 98 for it. probly find it for a decent price

yes but that was the limit for my laptop(music & videos didn't play very well with XP), I stipped XP down to the bare minimum to get it to run fast, Lots of tweaks, I also ran 2k pro and that also ran very well on that machine.

Back